My one month old Baby

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Malverne, NY
Curious asking, does adult Sulcata requires high humidity to prevent pyramid shell too?
YES!! Read below. This will show you the best ways to keep your tort happy and healthy

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm not a pro when it comes to raising tortoises but I think that early on you can do some things to prevent pyramiding such as is the enclosure to dry? Or are you over feeding it? Pyramiding is just abnormal growth on the shell and tortoises in captivity will tend to have a bit of pyramiding which shouldn't be a problem.
Get him off that substrate right away. Rabbit pellets are NOT a good thing, that baby is too dry and IS showing signs of pyramiding. Also being on rabbit pellets can cause his legs to 'splay', please read this, it is important to that baby

The Best Way To Raise A Sulcata, Leopard, Or Star Tortoise

alfredho1983

Kuching
YES!! Read below. This will show you the best ways to keep your tort happy and healthy

Thanks for fast response ?
I will read the that entire article!

alfredho1983

Kuching
Anyone knowh how to describe the bending shell like the flower shape.. possible to prevent it? I saw some of the adult sulcata shell can grow fully round and no curved outward like the photo

636126037116084681-IMG-0599~2.jpeg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
That's what comes with the slight pyramiding he has. Most captive Sulcata look just like that

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Yup. They have those points at birth to make them less palatable if a predator picks them up. Lots of young tortoises and turtles are like this. Mostly they wear down or off as age and wear and tear wear things smoother.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm very interested in that flare at their neck. I have had bigger Sulcata look at this...
This is Big Sam...he has very slight pyramiding
100_4157.JPG
but look at the flared carapace...
100_4159.JPG
This is a badly pyramided Mary Knobbins...
isn't she cute!
100_4169.JPG
but her carapace behind her neck is nice
100_4165.JPG