My old friend Stoltenberg the Desert Tortoise

Hansi

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi. I'm new here.
My about 60 year old Desert Tortoise is named after a german politician, named Stoltenberg. It's our oldest member of our happy zoo and a full-on family member that we love. He now lives with us for about 27 years in southern California and is a very happy and healthy fellow.
We're planing to move in a couple of month to central Florida, to Ocala, and of course, don't want to leave him behind. I was wondering about the humidity at our new future location , and if a Desert Tortoise can survive in a Florida climate. Not to be able to take him with us would break our hearts.
Can someone here please tell me if a Dessert Tortoise can survive in Florida ?
Thank you and Greetings.
Hansi N.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Unfortunately I can't answer your question. Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. So...welcome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm real sorry to have to tell you this, but it is ILLEGAL to take desert tortoises out of their native state. Besides you suffering a HUGE fine if caught, Stoltenberg would not tolerate the high humidity of Florida, and may get sick and die. Just an FYI - California desert tortoises do not belong to you, the caretaker of 27 years, but rather they belong to the State of California.

I know a family that took their desert tortoises with them when they moved to Colorado. One by one, each tortoise died.