My newest one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Ok, so all the recent snake pics are making me want to share my newest one. After going through the process to get licensed to keep venomous, I picked her up about two weeks ago. It's an African horned viper and she is awesome! Definitely my favorite snake out of the few that I have left. She is only about 18" long and about full grown. She shed two days after I got her and that was pretty exciting. I can't remember the last time I was excited to see a snake shed...she's just the coolest!

IMAG0283.jpg

IMAG0288.jpg

IMAG0289.jpg

IMAG0294.jpg

IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Nice Cameron, Beautiful. I have never kept hot snakes, so I dont know the "stuff". Do you and your wife have a course of action rehersed in case, god forbid, someone gets bit? Do you or the local hospital keep antivenom? Im not trying to be a downer and if I could keep them I would. I am just curious about the conversation and planning it takes to finally decide to get one.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
*natsamjosh: the pics are deceiving...the snake is only about 18" long and the head is only about the size of a half dollar....

*Paul, a lot of planning and discussing (and wheeling and dealing on my part) went into the decision to start keeping venomous. The venom of this particular species is relatively mild compared to even our North American venomous. That being said though, it is still very dangerous and no one locally carries the anti-venom for it. There is a hospital in FLA that carries it and it could be flown in from there if needed. I have a bite protocol being sent to me for this species that was written up by a venom research center in FLA and I will hang that on the inside of my garage door in a folder. Other than that, the only other plan is to be as careful as possible at all times. It is important to keep on remembering that even though it is a small snake, it deserves a LOT of respect.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing Cameron. Could you fly the antivenom from FLA and give it to your local hospital?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Wow, what a cool snake!!

Status
Not open for further replies.