My Newest Additions

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Happily purchased these from Doug of DeerFern Farms at the last Pomona Reptile Show. Thanks Doug!

25rldgg.jpg

xojpkn.jpg

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Nice:) do you have other lizards Tom?

Nvm Tom just saw your other thread:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not right now. Just these guys and a whole lotta torts!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very pretty. Didn't you used too have these a few years ago that you used too breed?

Just remembered it was tegus you used too breed, right?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Beautiful! Keep us posted on the breeding efforts.😊:)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Sorry Sir.

I still not able to pick up the appreciation of those guys but glad that someone know how to appreciate them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
bouaboua said:
Sorry Sir.

I still not able to pick up the appreciation of those guys but glad that someone know how to appreciate them.

I totally understand. I walked right by them for 20+ years too, before I finally "noticed" them one day. I couldn't even tell you why it is that they finally caught my eye, but they did, and I'm sure glad. There are a lot of really cool animals "out there".

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom said:

Wait...what happened to the big lizards you had in those nice walk-in cages you built?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne G said:
Tom said:

Wait...what happened to the big lizards you had in those nice walk-in cages you built?

A couple committed suicide, gave some to friends for breeding, and I found my last one dead for no reason. He was eating acting normal, totally fine, found him laying there dead one morning outside his box. Wasn't even cold.

Those cages are now all tortoise cages... Big surprise there, huh?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh heck. That sucks! I'm sorry. Could they have been poisoned by outsiders?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne G said:
Oh heck. That sucks! I'm sorry. Could they have been poisoned by outsiders?

The two that committed suicide put themselves away as usual at night, and then I found them sleeping outside the box on a below freezing night four months apart. I checked them every night and thought all was good. When I found the first frozen one, I made sure to come in and check every single night to make sure they had put themselves away. It was four months before the other one did it, without a single incident in between. Soon after the rest went to my friend, except the one I kept. I buried his night box and made him a tunnel, and he did great that way for about two years. Eating, drinking, behaving normally. Everything fine. One day I just found him dead. I cried. He was a really cool lizard. It is physically possible that he was poisoned, but very unlikely.

Live and learn. My lessons were: They must be housed individually in their own cages with their own night boxes. Their night boxes must have a latching door so they can be locked in and kept in all night. This freaked me out so bad that I went and put door on all my tortoise night boxes that didn't have them, so that everybody can be locked in every night.

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Oh man, sorry Tom. That is tough. Great idea of the latch locking door tho.

Do you keep the BTS in an outdoor enclosure, or indoor? What size enclosure do they need?
Our local zoo has them and I'm excited to check them out when we go next month :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many sites list a 40 gallon tank as large enough. I think a 60 is a good minimum. Mine will live indoors in 100s. I sun them outdoors in big tubs in winter (well technically it IS winter here even though its 80 degrees every day...), but for summer I am currently mentally designing some outdoor enclosures.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Great lizards. I have been keeping a male for several years and picked up a female over the summer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Benjamin said:
Great lizards. I have been keeping a male for several years and picked up a female over the summer.

Are you cooling them now? Will you attempt to let them breed in the spring?

Please feel free to post pics of yours.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Glad to see you caught the bug Tom. For some reason, BTS become very addicting for many people. I think it is largely due to the wide range they cover from fairly common species to some that are very rare (outside of Autralia). At the same time, they are all extremely easy to keep, and tolerate handling very well.

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
They are so cool!! I want to get a skink someday. Maybe I'll save up the money and buy a monkey tailed:D