My new vet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Vernon Hills, IL
I read an article linked from this site that mentioned a vet in Vernon Hills IL - my town. I wrote him and asked him to tell me a bit about himself. I received the following. Do you all think he'll do??

Ryan:
I am a lifelong herp nerd and became a vet so I could work with reptiles. Luckily I like dogs and cats too. I've been treating reptiles as a vet for over 30 years and have a large reptile clientele. I wrote 6 chapters and contributed hundreds of photos to Doug Mader's Reptile Medicine and Surgery, Second Edition textbook and I have a number of other scientific publications on herp medicine. I am in my 7th year as the Exotics Coordinator for the North American Veterinary Conference (NAVC), a huge continuing education conference attended by over 6,000 veterinarians every year. I coordinate the Reptile, Avian, Exotic Companion Mammal, Zoo, Wildlife and Aquatics Medicine programs for that conference. Prior to that I served as the NAVC Reptile Program Chair three times, each a three-year commitment. I am a charter member of the Association of Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians (arav.org) and attend their continuing education conference devoted to advances in herp medicine every year. I am the veterinarian for Wildlife Discovery Center in Lake Forest (be sure to attend their Reptile Rampage show March 11; google that for more info). I've been a member of the Chicago Herpetological Society since 1977 (chicagoherp.org). I go on several field herping trips every year and keep a collection of herps myself, mostly snakes, the oldest of which is a 22-year old Cornsnake raised from an egg..
We see reptiles on an almost daily basis and have for decades. We see many tortoises (most recently a 38-year-old yellowfoot last Thursday that needed sedation to get it to come out of the shell for beak trim and routine blood tests), and certainly have seen many Greeks over the years. I would be happy to see yours. I also have an associate, Dr. Eve Cheung, who treats exotics and usually is in the office when I am not.
I hope that is enough experience for you. :) There are only a handful of vets in Illinois who are experienced and competent in treating herps; luckily you live in a town that has two.
I look forward to meeting you and your tortoises.
Sincerely,
Steve Barten, DVM

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wow Ryan, sounds like you hit the jackpot. I wish I had a Vet like that near here. Actually I would love a Vet who would let me just be an observer in some of the surgeries he would perform and not just on reptiles.

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
The closest herp vet to me is an hour away :( I'm making MoonPie and appointment in a few weeks for a check-up :)

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
Yeah - we're pretty lucky. We could walk there if we wanted to. I'm giving him a call next week to set up an appointment.

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
I'm so jealous! Lucky you :) Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.