My new turtles....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngumpet

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hi there guys. i just adopted new turtles. here are their pictures. please share some information on how to take care of these babies. they're still the size of zippo lighter.

76ers1genkiteigroovesaktz0.jpg

76ers2hs6.jpg

76ers3lh3.jpg

76ers5jq7.jpg

genki1id7.jpg

genki2tx5.jpg

genkinsinchan2vf8.jpg

genki3ni3.jpg

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Are these fly river turtles ?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
They are very interesting looking! Kinda cute...

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
unique looking little guys.
what makes them so rare?

ngumpet

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
yes indeed. they are fly river turtles. at first i thought they are soft shelled. but turns out to be the carapace only look like it's a soft shell. but it is not. it's hard. it's like a normal turtle's carapace but covered by thin layer of skin.

i have read the links you posted. but i don't think they are like what the sites say. the sites say that these turtles are very aggressive. but they're not. they don't fight with their brothers / sisters / friends. i follow it though, i don't keep them in the same aquarium as with my other turtles.

what makes them so rare? i'm not sure. but they are my local turtle species though.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
ngumpet said:
yes indeed. they are fly river turtles. at first i thought they are soft shelled. but turns out to be the carapace only look like it's a soft shell. but it is not. it's hard. it's like a normal turtle's carapace but covered by thin layer of skin.

i have read the links you posted. but i don't think they are like what the sites say. the sites say that these turtles are very aggressive. but they're not. they don't fight with their brothers / sisters / friends. i follow it though, i don't keep them in the same aquarium as with my other turtles.

what makes them so rare? i'm not sure. but they are my local turtle species though.
I don't think they are particully rare in their range but it is a limited range. From what I read they are protected in Papua New Guinea and Australia. The ones you have are most likely from Irian Jaya. I have always been fascinated by them but their requirements, i.e. giant tanks, put them in the realm of unrealistic to keep for myself. As far as the water requirements, you would treat them similar to a rift valley cichlid. As far as the aggression issue, I believe that will come as they grow older and larger. Of course this can be offset by the size of their enviornment.

ngumpet

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
wow... you are absolutely correct. they are originated from irian jaya. impressive.

thanks for all the comments and inputs. they are really fun to pet. i even amazed by how fast they finish their food. i always put some vegetable every morning before going to work. and by the time i'm home, it's always already either finish or very little leftover.

Status
Not open for further replies.