My new russian tort isn't eating or really opening his eyes

Magicmoon

Location (City and/or State)
Auburn
Hi guys! I'm a new tort owner and I got a juvenile tortoise a few days ago. He hasn't eaten anything! I've tried to put the food right in front of him, both tortoise pellet food and leafy greens. He seems to have no interest. I did soak him last night and he drank the water. The other thing is, he keeps getting dirt in his eyes and rubbing it. When I cleaned him I rinsed his eyes with luke war water and he was able to open them, there is no swelling or redness. But as soon as I put him back in his enclosure he stops opening his eyes. I use just regular chem free soil, but later in the week we (my boyfriend and i) are going to switch him to coco coir. Would this be better? How do i get him to eat? I just want him to be healthy and happy!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The most common cause for a tortoise to not eat is that he isn't warm enough. You can't get an open-topped tort table warm, as the warm air is replaced by the cooler house air that rushes in. Open-topped tables need to be covered to keep the warm air inside.

Also, it sounds like your substrate is irritating the tortoise's eyes. Look for "Forest Floor" or "Repti Bark" in the pet store, or find a plant nursery and see if they sell orchid bark. These substrates are much easier on the tortoise's eyes, and they take water without spoiling.

Quite a few people use coco coir. I don't like it because it's messy.

Magicmoon

Auburn
The most common cause for a tortoise to not eat is that he isn't warm enough. You can't get an open-topped tort table warm, as the warm air is replaced by the cooler house air that rushes in. Open-topped tables need to be covered to keep the warm air inside.

Also, it sounds like your substrate is irritating the tortoise's eyes. Look for "Forest Floor" or "Repti Bark" in the pet store, or find a plant nursery and see if they sell orchid bark. These substrates are much easier on the tortoise's eyes, and they take water without spoiling.

Quite a few people use coco coir. I don't like it because it's messy.

Thank you so much for the tip! I'll cover the enclosure and see how he responds. The first day he was pretty active, checking out the new environment but hes been pretty dormant since then, he likes to burrow trails throughout his yard.

Magicmoon

Auburn
A 150w flukers day bulb and a 75w night bulb, but I read that you shouldn't use a night bulb. But the room is naturally chilly and his table is large enough that I figured keeping the night bulb on one side of the tank would be a good idea.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
The night bulb should go. Instead, use a che heater. It does not have light, just heat. You should also have a uvb Florence this tube light. Your tort needs uvb to use the calcium so he does not get mbd, medibolic bone disease. Also, without the added heat, he is to cold to metabolize the food. What type oftort do you have? As a juvenile, probably should have 80 degrees or better for the entire enclosure and a basking spot of 95 to 100 degrees.

Magicmoon

Auburn
Okay! He will have to tuff it out until Wednesday, when I get paid. I spent so much money on the set up, and wrong lights apparently. I'll cover his tank and during the day use both lights for added heat. I have a russian tort! Cute little guy :)

Magicmoon

Auburn
Hello everyone! I know it has been a while but I wanted to give everyone a little update on tortalini. I ended up going with coconut coir, and saw no improvement in his eyes or activity. I bathe him regularly and that seemed to sooth him. I decided my next plan of action would be to put him in an 'infirmary' of sorts. I put him in a box in his enclosure with nothing but food and a place to hide. He didnt get any better after 2 days, so I did some research and found out about terramycin cream. For a week I bathed him every other day and put fresh cream on ever few hours. After about a week he turned around completely! Both his eyes are both open and clear and he seems to move around a LOT more. I wrapped my whole enclosure in a clear plastic but left the top open, it hold heat well and directly under the warming light gets to 110°f. I also got the special light, I cant remember off the top of my head what it's called, but it helps him with vitamins and nutrients. He seems very happy and healthy! Will post pictures

CaliG

Arizona
The night bulb should go. Instead, use a che heater. It does not have light, just heat. You should also have a uvb Florence this tube light. Your tort needs uvb to use the calcium so he does not get mbd, medibolic bone disease. Also, without the added heat, he is to cold to metabolize the food. What type oftort do you have? As a juvenile, probably should have 80 degrees or better for the entire enclosure and a basking spot of 95 to 100 degrees.
This is good info. My guy won’t wake up. I have the lights on for 7 hours during day but probably not warm enough. I will try to cover the enclose and see if that makes a diference. From what I gather, his In some kind of limbo and I’m scared he’ll get sick.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
This is good info. My guy won’t wake up. I have the lights on for 7 hours during day but probably not warm enough. I will try to cover the enclose and see if that makes a diference. From what I gather, his In some kind of limbo and I’m scared he’ll get sick.
Pics of your enclosure setup will help us help you. You could have it to cold or wrong lights. Once we know what kind of tort and see your lights it will help. Plus your light should be on 12 hrs. If it's the right type.
Start a new post for us under general discussion so we dont get confused with CaliG.
O h yeah welcome this is a great forum with lots of experienced members.

CaliG

Arizona
Pics of your enclosure setup will help us help you. You could have it to cold or wrong lights. Once we know what kind of tort and see your lights it will help. Plus your light should be on 12 hrs. If it's the right type.
Start a new post for us under general discussion so we dont get confused with CaliG.

Attachments

• 21F81765-DE12-4875-8109-970ABE5EB5F4.jpeg
    21F81765-DE12-4875-8109-970ABE5EB5F4.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 6C704B27-0D3D-4B3B-9107-9056FD94B97C.jpeg
    6C704B27-0D3D-4B3B-9107-9056FD94B97C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13

CaliG

Arizona
I brought him out under the light Nd he went right back in his Tupperware cave. His shell was up to 74 degrees. He just wants to sleep .

Magicmoon

Auburn

I'm no expert but he deffinatley needs more light! I suggest getting a thermostat so you can see exactly what the temperature is. It's also very dark, and probably doesnt feel like day time to him! I use both a warming light and a uvb florescent light. Russian Torts also like a thick layer of substrate because they like to burrow! Not sure what kind of tort you have.... hope I was some help :)

CaliG

Arizona
I'm no expert but he deffinatley needs more light! I suggest getting a thermostat so you can see exactly what the temperature is. It's also very dark, and probably doesnt feel like day time to him! I use both a warming light and a uvb florescent light. Russian Torts also like a thick layer of substrate because they like to burrow! Not sure what kind of tort you have.... hope I was some help :)
I have a thermometer gun. The substate is that coco coir and some bark. It’s been raining all day so light from window is low. He is a Russian. He has lives outside in his nicer enclose but was told to bring him in since he was not hibernating. Soon as I brought him in, he hasn’t stopped sleeping. Not eating nor moving around much

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I have a thermometer gun. The substate is that coco coir and some bark. It’s been raining all day so light from window is low. He is a Russian. He has lives outside in his nicer enclose but was told to bring him in since he was not hibernating. Soon as I brought him in, he hasn’t stopped sleeping. Not eating nor moving around much
I use coco coir but I put about 3in of cypress mulch on top seems to keep Opo cleaner.