My new RF and enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Here he/she is. tort front.jpg tort size.jpg tort bottom.jpgtort top.jpg
Is anyone able to tell if male or female? Can you tell me how I can tell? I know males get an hour glass shape but at what age/size does this appear? How old do you thing he/she is at 3 1/2 "?

Here is the enclosure that I have built. I know it is too small but feel it should be okay for a couple months until I am able to build a bigger turtle table. The hide is facing the lighted side because of the width of the tank. I placed a log to block most of the light and build the hide tall so that when he enters he actually crawls down into it. I think he likes it, he crawled in and did not come out for a day so I went in after him. He was not happy when I took him out. He hissed at me several times :0)

enclosure.jpg Hide.jpg water side.jpg

I have a heat emitter on the hide side and plant light over the water side ( temp red light for added warmth until I can get another emitter - a 60 watt doesn't keep it warm enough). Have 2 blocks of forest earth (for hermit crabs) then a layer of cypruss mulch. The hide side also has a layer of the moser moss.

Suggestions and comments welcome. I want him/her to grow healthy!

Last edited by a moderator:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think it looks fantastic. I love the hide and I have one that's very much the same as yours. Every few days I have to lift the hide and wet the moss that's in there with warm water and then fluff it up to keep it humid because the heat emitter is right over it. But it's nice and warm and humid in there, so it's working out fine for me. Great enclosure.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Marty333 said:
He is a very unique looking red foot!!!!! He like has chocolate brown beautiful!! Can you get a closer picture of his bottom shell? My eyes are starting to age :p

Here is a tail end view and hopefully a little bigger belly view.
tail end.jpg tortoise 077.JPG

terryo said:
I think it looks fantastic. I love the hide and I have one that's very much the same as yours. Every few days I have to lift the hide and wet the moss that's in there with warm water and then fluff it up to keep it humid because the heat emitter is right over it. But it's nice and warm and humid in there, so it's working out fine for me. Great enclosure.

Thanks! I hope to build a bigger enclosure this spring. Working on remodeling a couple bird cages right now :0) Want to make eveyone happy! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Just to let you know, he didn't really hiss at you- the hissing sound you heard is the sound it makes when they pull their head into their shell :)
Congrats on your new addition! He is very cute :)

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Okay - two replies that this is a girl... so I will be thinking of girl names :D How old do you think she is?

Thanks for all your help. I greatly appreciate all the info I can get.

ChiKat said:
Just to let you know, he didn't really hiss at you- the hissing sound you heard is the sound it makes when they pull their head into their shell :)
Congrats on your new addition! He is very cute :)

How come I didn't hear it when I saw him pull his head in? Wow, it was really loud. :0) I just figured he was ticked and trying to sound mean... it worked, I wasn't about to stick my hand iin front of him :shy:

I guess I should say, SHE was out this morning when I checked. She looked so cute sitting in her water dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.