My new rescue/ Scares of a dog attack

ohio

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NEOhio
Hey everyone, i rescued this poor girl.20160115_083541.jpg 20160115_083438.jpg

as you can see she (kira) got chewed on.

20160115_083451.jpg 20160115_083508.jpg

The white parts, after her soaks, seems to peel off and appears to have new growth underneath.

20160115_083604.jpg 20160112_190341.jpg
Even her plastron has teeth marks and her gular scutes seem to have been gnawed off.

Now my question is, are these scares just superficial? Or could she have issues in the future?
Also her poop smelled just like stinky dog poop that someone just stepped on when i got her, the smell has gone away and her poop has firmed up. (only feed good herbaceous greens with the occasional hibiscus flower) What could have caused that smell? They were feeding dry tortoise food. (so they say)
Any clues and or any advice. She's also the shyest tort i have.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
They're Scars. She will always have them. Glad you found the forum to get her on a better diet!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
She will be shy for a while, you've brought her to a whole new world!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Poor girl hopefully you will be able to help her thrive and there is always plenty of great advice here to help.
Thanks for taking her in - good rescue!

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Thanks for everyone's thoughts, i was just wondering if maybe there might be a bacterial infection that could show up in the future that may be laying dormant. This is my first recovering trauma case. She is starting to warm up to me. And what is the white stuff? at first i thought it was bone, but it's been flaking off little bits at a time after her soaks. Don't think it's bone, maybe old tortoise scab?

M

Maggie Cummings

Keratin, , kinda like you splitting a fingernail. But if you're worried about it put Neosporin on them....

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Thanks for the advice, but it looks like this is all old damage and when the white peels off it looks like new shell underneath. So the shell is healing, my wonder was, (hear goes a story) Growing up a neighbor had lost a finger in an accident. Then about ten years later they took the rest of his hand and he was very ill for a year or two. They said some bacteria had got into his bone and was undetected. I know i'm over thinking this...these guys are resilient, that is why they have been around for 250 million years. Can't wait till spring when she'll get to meet her new creep

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thanks for the advice, but it looks like this is all old damage and when the white peels off it looks like new shell underneath. So the shell is healing, my wonder was, (hear goes a story) Growing up a neighbor had lost a finger in an accident. Then about ten years later they took the rest of his hand and he was very ill for a year or two. They said some bacteria had got into his bone and was undetected. I know i'm over thinking this...these guys are resilient, that is why they have been around for 250 million years. Can't wait till spring when she'll get to meet her new creep
My husband is battling bacteria like this in his shoulder right now. Scary.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Sorry to hear that. Hope everything work out. Stay strong in spirit and mind.

Leonardo Dicaprio

Texas
My tortoise has scratches on his back tail, legs and on his belly. When I rescued him I was worried about the scratches too but I just made sure to gently wipe them down with a wash cloth when I soaked him. The wounds never got infected and by the looks of yours I am pretty confident in saying that he will be fine. Its always better to be safe then sorry though so if you think something is wrong keep his wounds clean for the next week. I also can't stress how hard it is to get your tort to trust you, try hand feeding him every day and even if he has a nice water bowl to soak in I would recommend soaking him yourself for quality time with him and so you can keep an eye on those scratches.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
i know everyone likes pics so this is what i mean by i think it's healed under the white stuff.

Before.
20160115_083451.jpg
After
updated scare.jpg

it looks like healthy shell. So i"m wondering is if she grows to 10 inches will it heal up more or always look like it does now?

Here is my other question, since her gular scutes are chewed down it makes her straight line measurement about half inch shorter then what she actually would be. How do i tell if shes over or under weight? Actually she's over weight, but i feel shes under weight.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
She had probably been eating some kind of meat ,possibly dog food,thats why her poo would smell like that

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Wouldn't surprise me. I never knew that, but then again i would never consider giving cat or dog food. The smell did go away after getting a health diet. She really took to the hibiscus flowers twice a week.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Oh boy i did it again and rescued another little male. He's only 4.5 inches and felt light, 237 g. By my tort weight ratio formula [length (cm) x width (cm) x height (cm)] x 0.57 = ideal weight in grams he should be 330. That's 90 g under weight. Gave him a soak and he was 241, didn't poop or pee thou. Seems very alert and active. Clean bright eyes, no tears, runny nose or drooling. I named him Zory. I'll get a pic up this weekend. Cute little guy. Smallest tort i've ever owned.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Got a better measurement of the little guy and he should weigh 298 g. I weighed him to today and he is up to 245 g.
20160130_145205.jpg 20160130_145155.jpg 20160130_145141.jpg
Now i have to get 4 girls to help out the ratio. All my Russians have been craigslist rescues and all i believe came from the chain store pet-co/pet-smart. I just hate seeing these guys passed around at least here they'll get to spend their summers outside.