My New RES Rescue Turtle/Shell Rot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Here's the guy I adopted from the Humane Society today! The gal told me he was a "few inches long." Um, yeah....he's huge! It's ok though. I think my 55 gal aquarium will work for now. At least it's better than the tiny, square 2 gal reptile tank they had him in! I got most of the fishies out and got him set up with a basking bulb and UVB light. I bought one of those Zoo Med floating ramps and he's way too big for it and sinks the thing, so we'll have to build something up above the tank for him to bask on.

He seems like he's in good health, except I'm concerned he might have shell rot? If anyone can offer some input based on the pic I'm attaching I'd greatly appreciate it.

Oh, and we're naming him Butters. :D Someone on here posted the cutest little turtle with that name, so I'm stealing. Plus I'm a huge South Park fan and Butters is my absolute favorite. lol!

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3044.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3045.JPG
    IMG_3045.JPG
    695.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3050.JPG
    IMG_3050.JPG
    922.9 KB · Views: 21

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lynnwood, WA
Wow, those are great picture quality! Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question :p

bellyboo

5 Year Member
lushcious said:
Wow, those are great picture quality! Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question :p

Thanks! I have a Canon EOS Rebel. Takes awesome pics!

And if anyone notices, yes, the water is dirty. I'm going to do a full change tomorrow. It got all icky as I took the rocks out, but it's getting late so we called it a day. It'll be better, I promise! :D

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
doesn't look like shell rot to me, just some overgrown scutes that haven't come off yet. The times I have delt with shell rot, it looked VERY white-like someone had put a dot of whiteout on the shell... i treated/scrubbed it with nolvasan 2x a day for 2 weeks and it was gone.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
zesty_17 said:
doesn't look like shell rot to me, just some overgrown scutes that haven't come off yet. The times I have delt with shell rot, it looked VERY white-like someone had put a dot of whiteout on the shell... i treated/scrubbed it with nolvasan 2x a day for 2 weeks and it was gone.

Thank you! I wasn't sure as his shell looks different than the ones I had before. But only had mine 2.5 years, so they weren't nearly as big as he is. Thanks again!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
That is one nice looking RES. Good for you giving him a wonderful home. :)

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Candy said:
That is one nice looking RES. Good for you giving him a wonderful home. :)

Thank you! I was very impressed with him. I kind of expected the worse since the gal on the phone told me that the former owners had absolutely no idea how to care for him. Either they did a much better job than they thought, or he was in a different home before them. He's very friendly, not nervous at all, and seems very healthy. He lets me hold him just fine and when I talk to him he brings his little face right out to me (although maybe he's hoping to bite. lol!). Didn't hide in the tank either.

Status
Not open for further replies.