MY new radiated tortoise Aurora

Status
Not open for further replies.

X TORTOISE---MAD X

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex England
Hi everyone
I thought I would share some photos of my new family addition. Her name is Aurora and I have dreamt to have a radiated tortoise since I was young and finally it came true i feel extremely lucky. She has been with me 7days now and is doing so well. Anyone with rads please feel free to add me so we can share information,care needs etc as here in the UK there are not many whom keep these as their so rare. Thanks all :0)
Danielle xx

2852C7B1.jpg

E1AA9019.jpg

BF9630EA.jpg

7109E6FC.jpg

D3660472.jpg

She is so beautiful xx

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Beautiful .....nice markings on a young tort...
Is she a stud booked animal?
COngrads ,,,,,,!!!

JD~:)

PS .... and NO your tort is not pyramiding! ... but I agree ditch the newspaper~:D

Radiated

5 Year Member
Whats the humidity, what are the temps? Are you using a MVB? Can u get it off the news paper? Look the messages i sent you a while back...

PS: To me it looks like pyramiding, my Rad's have perfectly smooth shell, hopefully others can make it more clear.(cuz I'm not toooo sure)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
A little pyramiding isn't that bad. Also it seems to be from either the breeder, she has only had it for 7 days so lets guide her through preventative measures. I also would like to see her on some mulch instead of the newspaper. Any questions feel free to ask. And welcome to the forum.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Is it just me or does it have an extra scute? Do you think Bill Zovickian would be ok with it of I posted his care sheet? Oh yea, you could always contact Bill Z, he is very helpful!!!

X TORTOISE---MAD X

5 Year Member
Essex England
Hello and thanks all. She is not on newspaper no more this was just until my soil & sand got delivered. I'm waiting on delivery of mulch too.
She does have two extra scutes which makes her even more beautiful & individual. I don't think she is pyramiding at all she's quite smooth. Considering she has only been with me a week she has settled in so well and seems extremely happy. Thanks for any concerns and lively compliments obviously I want any guidance as I don't know of many others with radiata.
I have heard of bill before is he the main radiated breeder in the US?
Thanks again everyone xxx

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Looks great, they are so beautiful.
You are lucky to have one :)

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
Congrats!

I see she's eating cucumbers, which is ok as an occasional treat only, since it's mostly water, lacking nutrients.

I'm not comfortable with sand, I'd avoid it. I use cypress mulch, and coconut coir.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
cueboy007 said:
Congrats!

I see she's eating cucumbers, which is ok as an occasional treat only, since it's mostly water, lacking nutrients.

I'm not comfortable with sand, I'd avoid it. I use cypress mulch, and coconut coir.

Sand and dirt is actually a natural substrate and allows microclimates to be exploited.

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
Sand and dirt is actually a natural substrate and allows microclimates to be exploited.

I wouldn't risk with sand, they could eat it, and get impacted.

Other media can provide good microclimates, and be organic and safe at the same time. My hermanns always dig and sleep under the coco coir.

I don't find rads burrow themselves much. Their feet are not designed to dig, like russians or sulcatas. My rads like to hide behind bushes and other objects.

If you have to use sand, I'd make sure the feeding area is clean.

Radiated

5 Year Member
My Radiated only burrow when going to sleep.

It's more of a shuffle action where they move into the substrate more

Status
Not open for further replies.