My new rad....

jonckt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Land Below The Wind
ImageUploadedByTortForum1393918170.145682.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393918193.443984.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1393918210.862214.jpg

Some one told me to put some olive oil on the back if the torts , may I know anyone of u had done it before? Is there any advantage on doing so? Or just for cosmetic wise to makes the shell looks shining?

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats. So beautiful. If you keep him hydrated and do soakings and set him up properly with what ever amount of humidity is good for them, you shouldn't need to use oil. It is mainly used to make them look shiny from what I have ever read. However, it's not good for letting the shell grow and breath and hydrate as oil repels water. If you do use it, be sure to wipe it off good too.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very Nice Radi'.....and Wellington wrapped it up perfectly ! :D

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
On a semi-related note, can you use organic, virgin coconut oil? I was curious, since my box turtle can be housed in coco coir, if I can rub some coconut oil on her shell. It has great benefits for humans and has antibacterial properties, so I was just wondering if it would be ok or not?

I only ask because no matter how humid and hydrated I keep Flash, her shell always seems really dry..?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
What a beauty! ! ! !

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Some use oil such as lavender, coconut, olive to shine up the shells so they always look wet. I suppose when you only have a few its easy to keep up but not particle for large groups. Its not needed but also wont harm it with a light coat rubbed in. Nice looking young one either way!

jonckt

5 Year Member
The Land Below The Wind
ImageUploadedByTortForum1394281483.384336.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394281535.450556.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394281614.082778.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394281744.932716.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394281882.566232.jpg

I put it together with my sulcata, one thing I notice about radiated is , they drink lotsa water, and pee a lot......

Mind asking what do u guys feed radiated tortoise? I feed him with Mazuri and dry hay, but he doesn't seems to like it. When I bring him out to the garden, he graze the cow grass. Is it healthier to eat cow grass against dry hay?

ben awes

5 Year Member
jonckt said:
Some one told me to put some olive oil on the back if the torts , may I know anyone of u had done it before? Is there any advantage on doing so? Or just for cosmetic wise to makes the shell looks shining?

Totally rad dude! congrats.

jonckt

5 Year Member
The Land Below The Wind
ben awes said:
jonckt said:

Totally rad dude! congrats.

I bought it off someone , guys told me it's approximately 2 years old . How much rad sell in the states?

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Nice to know you are here too !

He is from the 2011/12 season .

Try crushing the mazuri pellets or soak before feeding - this guy was spoilt on fresh grass ( lawn ) and other green !!

Cactus - prickly pear pads ( spineless variety ) are good once a week

Dandelion .......... etc are good for feeding too .

I seldom feed him mazuri as not cheap to feed a whole horde of them .

He has his last worming done after Christmas . ( worming is important if they are allowed to roamed outdoor even not that often )

P/s you must be wondering how I know this guy from me - the 2 orange dot ( nail polish ) and the black marking 1 on his back !!

Cheers
Sam

One other thing pls do not mix with other sp for now - thought you told my friend about quarantine for a while before introducing to your other pet ?

But in picture I see a sulcata in the same enclosure with the R ?

And many in this forum do not encourage mixing different sp in same enclosure !!

Cheers

jonckt

5 Year Member
The Land Below The Wind
emystiong said:
Nice to know you are here too !

He is from the 2011/12 season .

Try crushing the mazuri pellets or soak before feeding - this guy was spoilt on fresh grass ( lawn ) and other green !!

Cactus - prickly pear pads ( spineless variety ) are good once a week

Dandelion .......... etc are good for feeding too .

I seldom feed him mazuri as not cheap to feed a whole horde of them .

He has his last worming done after Christmas . ( worming is important if they are allowed to roamed outdoor even not that often )

P/s you must be wondering how I know this guy from me - the 2 orange dot ( nail polish ) and the black marking 1 on his back !!

Cheers
Sam

One other thing pls do not mix with other sp for now - thought you told my friend about quarantine for a while before introducing to your other pet ?

But in picture I see a sulcata in the same enclosure with the R ?

And many in this forum do not encourage mixing different sp in same enclosure !!

Cheers

Sam.....

Glad to know u are here...... My rad is missing you maybe. I had been quarantine him for a week before putting him into my sulcata .....

They seems getting along well. I'm actually designing a bigger Plc for them. Still working out with the drawing.....

I basically have all the necessities for tort. Mazuri, sudo, Timothy hay, rep cal fruits tortoise food..... And all the supplement powder like BAC, miner all, reptoboost and so on so on....

I will take good care of ur rad..... Thanks Sam.......... I love him so much .....

Will post more photo of him and keep u updated. Btw, what do u used to call him?

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
One week is never enough as quarantine period !!

But hey you had everything so maybe you not as beginner as I might think , as for name I never really give them name especially for younger one that I might release for sale - but most of my breeder I got name or at least an id to know them by !!

Cheers

jonckt

5 Year Member
The Land Below The Wind
emystiong said:
One week is never enough as quarantine period !!

But hey you had everything so maybe you not as beginner as I might think , as for name I never really give them name especially for younger one that I might release for sale - but most of my breeder I got name or at least an id to know them by !!

Cheers

When I first decided to get a second tort, my main purpose is to get a companion for my single sulcata, but I neglected that I shouldn't mix other species in one pen.

I will get another terrarium as soon as possible. In kk, ready made terrarium is limit to biggest 3 feet * 1.5feet for exo terra.

Before u send me this msg , I was planning to custom design a 5 to 6 feet terrarium , but after ur message I would most probably separate them up.

Sam may I know previously where do u locate ur rads? I would like to know more on how u keep this rad these 2 years, I wanna try to follow as much as possible so that the rads gets used to their new environmental more quickly.

Secondly, do u take any photo of this rad from hatching until recently u pass it to me. I wanna make an album of it .

Btw, I'm really new on keeping tortoise as a pet , but I'm learning hard everyday making sure this 2 fellow growing up healthily .

Besides tortoise forum, any other forum on raising radiate that u can refer me?

Thank u,

Jonathan Chung

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
ImageUploadedByTortForum1394404645.861651.jpg
Pic of papa ( top ) mamas !!

Cheers

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
This is THE PLACE for all chelonian information . I won't go anywhere !

As for pic of him at smaller size , sorry never take note but do have them just need searching .
Cheers

As I usually take group picture specific individual pic only for special one or when offering for sale and done upon request .

You are in good hands on this site unlike when I started years ago - so helpless and worried about everything ie diet , supplements , heating .......

Cheers

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
ImageUploadedByTortForum1394446597.437758.jpg

One of the 3 could be him .

Cheers