My new Leapord Tortoise

particle0

5sw4x73sv

This is my lil guy, just brought him home yesterday. He is still getting use to his new home. Thinking of names for him or her. New to the forum but this is my second tortoise. I also have a sulcata that i have has ever seance a baby he getting big now lol But anyway here is my new leapord.

Attachments

• IMG_20140213_165833.jpg
    IMG_20140213_165833.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 97

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :) Congrats but way too small of an enclosure. Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper housing and care an make some changes ASAP so he will grow healthy and smooth.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. Yes your enclosure is way to small . A leopard tort is like the 4th largest tort in the world .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

Your new little tortoise is very beautiful!

I guess the consensus of opinion is that your new baby is being kept in a habitat that would be ok for a Jackson's chameleon, but is way too small for a hatchling tortoise of any kind. Ok, I get it that we're looking through the narrow end of the aquarium, however, it looks to be about a 10 gallon, and that's way too small.

You can buy a pretty big plastic bin for around $20.

featherator

Southern California
Welcome to you and your beautiful precious baby!

You don't have to spend a lot of money to set up a larger tank. Hang out in the leopard section and look at other people's set ups. Read Tom's threads plus others, there are a lot of cheap plastic bins that will make wonderful enclosures for a long time.

The initial set up can be overwhelming. But a good start makes the difference of a healthy tortoise.

Oh and everybody is here to help, have questions, post them!

Please post photos of your sulcata, we love big tortoises too :)

particle0

He is in a 10 gallon right now, the pet store actually told me that i could keep him in that for a year. I have a bigger tank that i am going to use because i a have another hatchling coming teusday.

The other tank i have is a 40 gallon or bigger i have put a picture in i think its bigger. would that be enough space for 2 hatchlings for a while ?

Attachments

• 20140214_194727[1].jpg
    20140214_194727[1].jpg
    741.1 KB · Views: 52

particle0

Let me know if the bigger tank is good for 2 hatchlings for a while. eventually tortoise table swill be built. Also will it be ok to introduce the new tortoise right away seance they are both hatchlings

particle0

also what is the best substrate to use for a leapord tortoise ? thanks for the help

particle0 said:
also what is the best substrate to use for a leapord tortoise ? thanks for the help

is aspen a good choice ?

particle0 said:

particle0 said:

is aspen a good choice ?

aspen to dry probably, would cypress mulch be best ?

particle0 said:

particle0 said:

is aspen a good choice ?

particle0 said:

particle0 said:

is aspen a good choice ?

aspen to dry probably, would cypress mulch be best ?

also for that bigger tank, is one heat spot light best or should i get another i have 100 watt day and a red spot light i also will be adding uv 10 percent hood

mikeh

5 Year Member
40gallon tank is more suitable then 10gallon, that's just too stressful for sulcata.

The bigger tank will be too crowded for two torts. Even though the pet store may have bunch of them in a small tank, rest assure those are not healthy husbandry conditions. Tortoises are loners and do much better in their own space, not in pairs. Many times all kinds of bullying problems are soon seen in housing pairs. Your tort will be much happier on its own in the bigger tank.

For substrate aspen, cypress mulch are fine. Many people use coco coir or coco husk, both hold moisture well, aiding in humidity.

One heat light in 40 gal tank is fine. For night CHE is better then red light as it emits no light. 10%UVB long tube such as Zoomed is great. I would avoid Zilla brand and stay away from any compact UVB coil type bulbs. They are known to burn tortoises eyes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. I would not house them as a pair.
2. Your new leopard is not a hatchling. He already has some size and growth on him.
3. Aspen is much too dry.
4. Cypress is a good substrate.
5. Red, or any other colored bulbs, are not good for daytime use. I don't like them at night either, but that's more of a personal preference than a health concern. For daytime, use regular "white" light bulbs.

All of this and more is here in this care sheet: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-79895.html
Please click and read. When you finish that please click and read the links in my signature. More info that will help you there too.