My new Hermann tortoise is not eating?

Rosie0121

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi, my 11 mounth old tortoise is not eating.I recently got her and she likes to rather stay asleep or bask. Whenever she goes up to her food bowl she puts her face in to sniff, but never takes a bite. I have recently saw her open her mouth near her food but she didnt bite. I dont know what she was trying to do...
Ive tried hand feeding but that didnt work ethier. She has however nibbled on her cuttle fish but thats about it.. Is there anything i could do to help her eat?

Rosie0121

England
What are you feeding your Tortoise?
Try soaking it for 20 minutes in lukewarm Water.
Hi thanks for your reply, this is the list of all the foods im feeding her:
watercress grass dandelions clover & weeds that im 70% sure are plantain weeds.
I will bathe her and she if she eats.
If this doesnt work what else would you suggest doing? I have actally gave her a bath today already for around 5 minutes, should i bath her agin for 20?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Well try feeding something else. Try lettuce most tortoises will eat without a doubt. Try other things, do you you grocery food? Like kale, collards, mustards, etc? Try different food options.
Yes soak more than 5 minutes,15-20 minutes. Update us

Rosie0121

England
Well try feeding something else. Try lettuce most tortoises will eat without a doubt. Try other things, do you you grocery food? Like kale, collards, mustards, etc? Try different food options.
Yes soak more than 5 minutes,15-20 minutes. Update us
Hi thanks for your adivce, i have bathed her for around 20 mins now and dried her. I gave her a little bit of celery and lettace but she semlt walked straight pasted it.. Do you think it has anything to do with the fact we just got her? She does smell it but doesnt eat it. I will buy some kale and other things see if she likes it, ill keep you updated

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Hi thanks for your adivce, i have bathed her for around 20 mins now and dried her. I gave her a little bit of celery and lettace but she semlt walked straight pasted it.. Do you think it has anything to do with the fact we just got her? She does smell it but doesnt eat it. I will buy some kale and other things see if she likes it, ill keep you updated
Lol that’s probably the reason why she isn’t eating! ? did you you get her?
Tortoises don’t like change let him/her get adjusted to the enclosure for a few days. But still add food.

Rosie0121

England
Lol that’s probably the reason why she isn’t eating! ? did you you get her?
Tortoises don’t like change let him/her get adjusted to the enclosure for a few days. But still add food.
Thanks for your help as least we know whats wrong now :)? Yeah we got about 2-3 days ago

Rosie0121

England
I missed something. What are your Temperatures? Some won’t eat if their bodies haven’t warmed up.
I have ordered a femometer but its coming monday.. Her enclosure feels warm in most parts but im going to check as soon as i get it. I have a 100w mercery vapour lamp ( UVA and UVB in 1 ) and she basks in it some of the time.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I have ordered a femometer but its coming monday.. Her enclosure feels warm in most parts but im going to check as soon as i get it. I have a 100w mercery vapour lamp ( UVA and UVB in 1 ) and she basks in it some of the time.
It’s not recommended using a MVB in yearlings. It will dry out the carapace which may result in Pyramiding. Try getting a CHE so I can spread the heat throughout the enclosure.

KronksMom

Illinois
Don't turn the MVB off in the meantime, but you will want to replace that with a Ceramic Heat Emitter and a separate UV tube light (NOT the coiled kind, those hurt tortoise eyes). Another thing you can do to make sure your baby is getting some nutrients until he or she gets more comfortable and starts eating is make the bath 50/50 baby carrot food and water. Because torts absorb water (or whatever else they're soaking in) through their cloaca, these warm soaks (about 98 degrees) are a good way to keep them hydrated all the time, but also a good way to get some nutrition into an animal that isn't eating anything. And it's good that you got a thermometer. Temperature regulation is incredibly important when you're keeping any kind of reptile, as the only way for them to regulate their own temperature is by moving somewhere warmer or cooler. You need to know what you're enclosure's temps are at all times. I love my little hand held temp gun, it makes checking tort height temps so much easier, and it was only like $10.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Yeah that’s right. But do I need to leave that In and put in what u recommend In as well or take the mercury out?
Well I have also made that mistake, I do own a MVB but I changed it to just a Basking bulb, my tortoises gets daily Sunshine. It may get too hot if you have a MVB and a CHE. Depending on what your temperature is you would take it out.

Rosie0121

England
Don't turn the MVB off in the meantime, but you will want to replace that with a Ceramic Heat Emitter and a separate UV tube light (NOT the coiled kind, those hurt tortoise eyes). Another thing you can do to make sure your baby is getting some nutrients until he or she gets more comfortable and starts eating is make the bath 50/50 baby carrot food and water. Because torts absorb water (or whatever else they're soaking in) through their cloaca, these warm soaks (about 98 degrees) are a good way to keep them hydrated all the time, but also a good way to get some nutrition into an animal that isn't eating anything. And it's good that you got a thermometer. Temperature regulation is incredibly important when you're keeping any kind of reptile, as the only way for them to regulate their own temperature is by moving somewhere warmer or cooler. You need to know what you're enclosure's temps are at all times. I love my little hand held temp gun, it makes checking tort height temps so much easier, and it was only like $10.
Thank you for your advice, It’s a great help. What wattage should I get for the UV tube light? It varies quite a bit on each website.

Rosie0121

England
Thank you for your advice, It’s a great help. What wattage should I get for the UV tube light? It varies quite a bit on each website.
@iAmCentrochelys sulcata is suggesting that you take the MVB out and swap it for a CHE and a UV tube light. NOT a coiled UV light.
MVBs are highly desiccating. They dry everything out. So it would be better for your tortoise, and he would be less likely to pyramid, if you switched.
Do you have a recommended product for the UV tube light? I have found a CHE light but I’m not to sure for the tube light..?