My new grazing tractor. Tips appreciated!

SanctuaryHills

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, FL
The enclosure seems like a good size to start, our first enclosure was 8x12. It looks like your night box is going to be way too small pretty quickly though. It will need to be large enough to get one more more heat sources inside and have room for the thermostat and other accessories like that to stay dry.
I wonder how they will react to having their enclosure moved around. Ours are serious creatures of habit and hate being moved to new locations. Maybe they will get accustomed to it if you do it from the beginning.
Thank you for the feeedback!

Enclosure Space:
With the second module I'm building it'll be 12'x12' total. Once I have both of them ready I don't think I'll need to move them around as much. I just need them until the tortoise can be heavy enough to be safe from birds really. After that the whole backyard will be theirs to roam =) I used to have 8 big ol' red foots strolling through here without issues so I'm confident the yard is safe and the fence scape-proof.

Night-box:
Regarding the night-box you are totally right. it won't be long before it's outgrown so I'm already tinkering with a new design. I'm a farmer by trade so tracking heat and humidity is like 25% of what I do so at least on that part I'm covered. Got all types of trackers with push alerts and try to religiously maintain the "perfect humidity/temps" day and night. I try!

Moving them around:
Yeah, tortoise newb here so I wonder the same. I suppose the silver lining is that those are some of the few times I handle the tortoise, so I see it as my little way to slowly start our "bonding" lol?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I only have the one Aldabra tortoise for now. But it's going to need a buddy soon
I have experience with reptiles, but a total tortoise newb, so please do call me out on anything you see wrong.
Well... since you asked...

Aldabras are not known to be combative, but tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Even docile species. One will always be dominant and the other submissive. The long term chronic stress will damage both. Singles are best, and groups can work too, but never pairs.

Here are some night box design ideas that will last at least a few years. After that you'l have to go big.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
If I can add to Tom's night box design info. If you have more than one Aldabra try to make sure that the doorway to the nightbox is two to three times the width of the largest tortoise. Ours will often sit in the doorway and block access in or out for the others.
Another important tip for Florida. Check the nightbox for fire ants regularly. They like the protection from the rain too and are often attracted to the electricity present in the box.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
Well... since you asked...

Aldabras are not known to be combative, but tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Even docile species. One will always be dominant and the other submissive. The long term chronic stress will damage both. Singles are best, and groups can work too, but never pairs.

Here are some night box design ideas that will last at least a few years. After that you'l have to go big.
Thank you Tom! I'll go through the links you shared and build something proven to work by the community. No need to reinvent the wheel I suppose.

Thank you for the advise on companionship. I had seen elsewhere that Aldabras specifically were different in this regard. That they liked to walk in pairs and even sleep with their heads tucked inside another's shell. That's what made me want to get a second one to begin with ?.

Is it an age thing?

Thank you again Tom!

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
If I can add to Tom's night box design info. If you have more than one Aldabra try to make sure that the doorway to the nightbox is two to three times the width of the largest tortoise. Ours will often sit in the doorway and block access in or out for the others.
Another important tip for Florida. Check the nightbox for fire ants regularly. They like the protection from the rain too and are often attracted to the electricity present in the box.
Great tip on the fire ants. I'll make sure to check regularly. Thankfully my night setup is fairly easy to clean up.

Regarding widening the entrance: Noted. But now I'm not I'm not sure if I should really get another Aldabra . See Tom's post above.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom! I'll go through the links you shared and build something proven to work by the community. No need to reinvent the wheel I suppose.

Thank you for the advise on companionship. I had seen elsewhere that Aldabras specifically were different in this regard. That they liked to walk in pairs and even sleep with their heads tucked inside another's shell. That's what made me want to get a second one to begin with ?.

Is it an age thing?

Thank you again Tom!
No, not age related. The pair thing is true at any age. Aldabras, along with stars, and possibly Redfoots too, do seem to be more gregarious than some species like desert torts, Russians, or Indotestudo species, but the pair thing still applies.
Regarding widening the entrance: Noted. But now I'm not I'm not sure if I should really get another Aldabra . See Tom's post above.
Don't get one more. Get two or three more!!! :)

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
No, not age related. The pair thing is true at any age. Aldabras, along with stars, and possibly Redfoots too, do seem to be more gregarious than some species like desert torts, Russians, or Indotestudo species, but the pair thing still applies.

Don't get one more. Get two or three more!!! :)
I mean if that's the expert opinion then I hope the wife understands the purchase of two additional turtoises ?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I mean if that's the expert opinion then I hope the wife understands the purchase of two additional turtoises ?
I will add in addition to what Tom has said... WIth galapagos, which are a bit more combative than aldabras, I have found raising one by itself makes it a bit more used to being alone, and when later put with others, it is either extremely timid, or overly dominant trying to find its place. I am of the opinion that they do best when raised in a group as opposed to added to a group later. I much prefer the dynamics of one raised with others as opposed to alone unless you plan on keeping it alone long-term.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will add in addition to what Tom has said... WIth galapagos, which are a bit more combative than aldabras, I have found raising one by itself makes it a bit more used to being alone, and when later put with others, it is either extremely timid, or overly dominant trying to find its place. I am of the opinion that they do best when raised in a group as opposed to added to a group later. I much prefer the dynamics of one raised with others as opposed to alone unless you plan on keeping it alone long-term.
Agreed on all counts.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
I hate you guys so much... Lol sorry that was my wallet hijacking my account.

Ladies and gents, you already know Mitch. Now meet Roach (Blue dot) and Tiny (green dot).

There is a much larger thread regarding keeping Aldabras in groups vs by themselves. I have some of my own feedback now so I'll pitch in with my own anecdotal experience so far in there.

Thank you fellow tortosians!

Attachments

• 20210920_092257~3.jpg
    20210920_092257~3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Wow, three now. Good for you. I would start planting prickly pear cactus all over the yard soon. My wife tried to convince me of this but I hate the look of it and always resisted. I should have listened though. Our three are 3 to 4 years old and can polish off a 5 gallon bucket full of pads in a day already.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
Wow, three now. Good for you. I would start planting prickly pear cactus all over the yard soon. My wife tried to convince me of this but I hate the look of it and always resisted. I should have listened though. Our three are 3 to 4 years old and can polish off a 5 gallon bucket full of pads in a day already.
I planted three leaves about a week ago! Got a few hibiscus goin in the ground as well.