My new baby! Gamera the Guardian of the Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banshee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, Florida
I went to a reptile show over the weekend, just to look and Oooh and Ahhh over the cute animals. I wasn't planning on getting anything, just wanted to see what's out there.

That's when I found her.

She looked at me.

I looked at her.

She yawned.

I was in love.

I ended up getting her and was told she was about eight months old. A gentleman that is very knowledgeable about tortoises gave me some information on her after I attended his lecture. He was shocked at the size and said she was more than likely much younger than what they told me. I suppose that the tortoise community is pretty tight in this area, because he took me over to a gentleman that he guessed was the original seller. This man confirmed that she is about eight months old and has probably not grown much because the people I purchased her from rarely ever provided proper lighting and care.

She's currently in a 32 quart tub so that I can watch her. She's eating like a Hermann should and is VERY active. I have a ZooMed tortoise house that I plan on moving her to when she's a little larger.

My only concerns are her poop and her soft plastron. I read about the white poop, so I know that it is urine. However, I haven't seen real poop yet during her soaks. What sort care should I provide for both ailments?

I'm giving her calcium with D3, multivitamins, and a slightly mixed diet of spinach, romaine, broccoli, carrots, and hibiscus (she LOVES hibiscus). She is lit with a 5.0 UVB and has a heat lamp. I just started misting her enclosure after reading some posts on here. She's on cedar and eco-earth.

BG

BG

BG

BG

BG

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Awwwww, I'm in love with that cute face and big bug eyes. I can see why you fell in love :D
It definitely does look like a month old.

Well, I think it takes a while for a hatchling to get adjusted but you should see poop very soon. Feed him a bag of spring mix... it has varied greens that's good for their health. Avoid carrots/broccoli.. only feed occasionally.

Keep up with the misting.. it will help with smooth shell growth. Provide access to water in the enclosure!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ahhh haa you caught the bug.:D They do grab your heart. Very cute. Sounds like you are doing good. Lots of good info on here. Wait and see what others say, but I thought cedar was not good for torts or really any animal. But, like I said, see what others say. I might be mistaken it for something else.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hello,
Cedar is not safe for reptiles. I recommend changing it immediately and aioli meant with either all Eco earth or cypress and or eucalyptus mulch. Also the broccoli. Everything else seems just swell. Shes awesome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That substrate looks like cypress mulch.

Hi Banshee (did you ever decide what we should call you?)

Cute little baby. I can't go to reptile events anymore. I have no will power.

marleybaby

5 Year Member
Aaaaggghhh That is a cutie pie!! I am also a new mommy. I hope you enjoy her as much as I enjoy mine. :)

Banshee

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Banshee or Alexis are just fine. :) I'm going to add a signature with my information.

I meant cypress!! Ah! Apologies, I would never use cedar. I learned that even with the rats I used to have.

I will remove the broccoli and carrots. She's a bigger hibiscus fan anyway. I'll grab a bag of spring mix when I am out today.

Daveyhimself

5 Year Member
Apopka, FL
Did you get him from the pinellas county reptiles booth at repticon? If so I bought his brother.

Banshee

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Daveyhimself said:
Did you get him from the pinellas county reptiles booth at repticon? If so I bought his brother.

Yes! Small world. How's the sibling​
holding up?

Daveyhimself

5 Year Member
Apopka, FL
My little guy had white poop too when I took him home. He started pooping normally once I got him some adequate lighting and food with vitamins (herptivite/repcal). Once I asked how old they were, I was shocked too that they were from last summers clutch. I don't think I would ever buy from them again, the lady that ran the booth seemed really shady and not very friendly to me.

Good luck with your hermann's I know she's tinier than she should be and is going to need a lot of love.

Banshee

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
I went on Sunday and there were three guys running it. They seemed alright, but I was warned to stay away in the future. I left her with a shallow water bowl and just came home to pee and less solid white stuff. A step in the right direction!

DvotedMOMMY

5 Year Member
She is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! I don't think I could have resisted either! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cute baby.

Is your bulb the coil type or the long tube type? The coil type can damage their eyes sometimes. The tube types are fine, but natural sunshine is by far the best.

Banshee

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
It's the coil type. I have her tortoise house up against my sliding glass door to promote the filtering in of natural light as well.

I also just switched to a ceramic heat bulb.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I highly recommend against using the coil bulb. I have personally seen them damage and irritate reptilian eyes, as well as seen many instances of it here on the forum.

There is no UV getting through your glass door, but it is nice to have the daytime brightness for them. Just be careful to watch temps. The sun coming through glass and into an enclosure can quickly over heat things. Again, I have personally seen animals die this way, and I know of a very experienced, competent keeper here on the forum that just had this accidentally happen. Not trying to lecture you, but it is heart wrenching to see an accident happen. It just feels so terrible and you wish you could take it back, and it motivates me to help others avoid the same fate...

Status
Not open for further replies.