My new baby Dwarf Hermann - Greta

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No don't worry, he was very clear that although referred to as a dwarf tortoise, it's not actually a dwarf. Thanks so much for checking though - I imagine some sellers can be a bit sneeky with it!
Oh yes, some people out there can and will get very sneaky. Glad it didnt happen to you.
Very nice looking tort btw.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Quote "Cucumbers are to watery- act like laxative - so only for treats , and give the flesh only, not the seeds or skin"!
I use cucumbers occasionally for my tortoises to get a good photo, or use for a little more hydration. I take the whole cucumber and run a fork all the way down scoring the peel all the way around, I cut them in slices and feed seeds and all. I have never had a problem and until I read this post I had never heard about not feed peel or seeds. I score the peel as it's kinda bitter.
I and I believe everyone that does feed cucumbers feeds the whole thing. The seeds are soft so shouldn't really be a problem for even a hatchling. However that is the only reason I might consider not feeding the seeds.

Cheryl1503

Lanarkshire
Hi Cheryl,

Thanks so much for the advice! I've removed all the cucumber from her food and will cross off my frequent feed list.

I will sink her dishes now aswell! Great tip, I've purchased the thermometers thanks for recommending specific ones as I would have been lost - sorry in this is such a ridiculous question, but what do you mean by pot-checks?

In terms of the enclosure size j was a little worried about this, as I'd hate her to feel cooped up, but we are moving to a place with a garden next month (fingers crossed) so on sunny days I would put her in a bigger outdoor enclosure for an hour or 2. I'm based in drizzly London though so not sure how frequent those sunny day would be, but I'd like to have the option!
Spot checks!! Lol, sorry

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I didn't feed my Western Hermanns a cucumber until he got bigger, too paranoid about the seeds too. Now they share a cucumber about once a month.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hey! As I said I’m completely new at this too but what I’ve quickly learned is sink their dishes into the substrate so it’s level but get dishes that are more like saucers so there is no risk of her tipping over in the water on her shell!
Also buy a small hygrometer/ thermometer for each end of her enclosure to gauge temp abs humidity and also a infrared temp gun for pot checks.
Cucumbers are to watery- act like laxative - so only for treats , and give the flesh only, not the seeds or skin!
some might say her enclosure is too small but so is she and you can change things if you need View attachment 316009View attachment 316009View attachment 316010to
Info on cucumber is a bit off. The whole cucumber can be used. Chop it up appropriate for the size tortoise. So not feed daily more as a treat or if added hydration is needed.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
What makes you think it's a dwarf? There're are no dwarfs unless it was not taken care of and fed properly then it's size could be affected. I reacued a leopard from poor care and was small for its age. Once it got proper care and diet it shot up and grew larger then my other one.
If the breeder sold him to you as dwarf then I would not listen to too much of their advice.
Had this question as well

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi! Good to know, you read so much conflicting advice in here!
Not as much here as out side of here. Some people don't like to feed it at all. However, it does have its place for constipation and extra hydrating if one thinks its needed. Some species can have veggies more often then others.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi! Good to know, you read so much conflicting advice in here!
Something I just thought about. Some might say not to feed the skin if they are buying the cucumber with the waxy skin. Most people don't eat that kind of skin themselves. Also any pesticides would be on the skin's. However, any chemical would also seep in to the meat part anyway. That's why organic is recommended

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Something I just thought about. Some might say not to feed the skin if they are buying the cucumber with the waxy skin. Most people don't eat that kind of skin themselves. Also any pesticides would be on the skin's. However, any chemical would also seep in to the meat part anyway. That's why organic is recommended
If you feed cucumber, feed the seedless cucumbers (wrapped in plastic in the grocery store). It’s quite long. It has a tender skin and will be free of wax and large seeds.

Reactions: Ink

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
If you feed cucumber, feed the seedless cucumbers (wrapped in plastic in the grocery store). It’s quite long. It has a tender skin and will be free of wax and large seeds.

that’s called an “English Cucumber”
Sorry I had to add my 2 cents....
(Hence my name)....?
Please continue....... ?

Harry and Greta

LONDON
I didn't feed my Western Hermanns a cucumber until he got bigger, too paranoid about the seeds too. Now they share a cucumber about once a month.
I'm seeing now that cucumbers a tricky one, I think to be safe I will do the same and stop feeding it to her for how but may reintroduce when she's less tiny - thanks so much for sharing :) - I definitely need all the advice I can get!

Harry and Greta

LONDON

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Amythyst

ABERDEEN
Hello all ?

Yesterday morning my lovely baby Dwarf Hermann Greta arrived and she's the sweetest thing!!

I'm a first time tortoise owner and feel I could use all the support I can get so would really appreciate everyone's input ?

Yesterday when she arrived she was a lot more playful than I expected, she ran around, buried herself ate a lot and even seemed happy to be stroked so I was really happy she seemed to be adjusting so quickly! But today she seems a lot more timid - I woke her to have a bath (I called the place I bought her from to check this was okay and he said it would be fine) as I wanted to make sure she warmed up straight away after having the heat lamp off all night - but she seems a lot more scared today. She was visibly more scared when I picked her up and popped her in the bath and after her bath had one tiny nibble off food and how has gone straight to the corner. Was waking her a mistake? Is it normal for her to have gotten less confident around me?

What's the best thing I can do for her right now to make sure she gets back to her happy self that she seemed yesterday?

Thanks so much in advance!!

HarrietView attachment 315986
She is gorgeous! I wouldn't waken her for a bath, let her wake up herself and then speak to her before trying to touch, then slowly introduce your hand, this lets her see you are to be trusted, then you can try stroking her shell. Baths aren't necessary everyday but a few times a week are fine, make sure the water is warm and only do this for a few minutes to start then up it everytime til she is on for a good ten to fifteen minutes. It can take time to settle so don't rush it, she needs to know that you won't always touch her/pick her up when she see you and eventually you will be able! ❤️