My new 1.2 Redfoot group :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Stunning redfoots. Do you know the history of these guys? Look to be wild caught when smaller.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Some good looking reds ! I'd like to know some background on them . The only ones I've seen so smooth are wild caught .

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
Hi guys these tortoises came from Suriname a couple years ago as a group, they are already established and are doing fantastic! [emoji2]

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Awesome ! Keep us posted ! Love to see some full blooded Suriname hatchlings on the market . You have any paperwork proving local?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm trying to see if there is any difference from the growth and around the areola to the rest of the scute in a wild tort that's not worn smooth. These still have prominent growth rings, so I wanted to see if the areola are slightly raised.
The bottom one in the first photo has small areola and maybe they stand proud a bit. The other 2 look as if there is some wear on the areola so I wanted to see if they are level to the scute.
My thought is, is it natural for a redfoot to start out with slightly raised areola to allow for natural wear.

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
I'm trying to see if there is any difference from the growth and around the areola to the rest of the scute in a wild tort that's not worn smooth. These still have prominent growth rings, so I wanted to see if the areola are slightly raised.
The bottom one in the first photo has small areola and maybe they stand proud a bit. The other 2 look as if there is some wear on the areola so I wanted to see if they are level to the scute.
My thought is, is it natural for a redfoot to start out with slightly raised areola to allow for natural wear.

@Anyfoot that is some great observation, I knew I noticed something at first but I just couldn’t put finger on it. Now that you pointed this out it makes complete sense. I also did notice the prominent growth rings, and thought to myself they must wear them down in the wild as they age or as they expose themselves to the elements. I can’t provide more picture right now they are still with the guy I bought them from, while I finish their enclosure. I should have them home with me in a week or two. I will upload more pictures when I get them home :)