My neighbor has this growing over the fence

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
leaves038.jpg
I saw Charlie taking a bite out of a fallen leaf. It is green in the summer.

sue white

5 Year Member
Central IL
looks like a maple leaf to me would need to see more leaves or tree is it a vine? does it get seeds or flowers?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't remember what its called, but I looked it up and it was listed as toxic. Boston Ivy maybe?

Don't take my word for it. Hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime in with a better answer.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Pretty sure it's boston ivy, it looks the same as I have growing. Never known it to be toxic though. I have never noticed any ill effects when fed as part of a varied diet.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Pretty sure it's boston ivy, it looks the same as I have growing. Never known it to be toxic though. I have never noticed any ill effects when fed as part of a varied diet.
I just googled it, and a picture came up that looks nearly exactly like mine, like someone came into my yard and took the picture! Thanks!
The tortoise table says it is high is oxalates and could cause dermatitis. I didn't know tortoises could get dermatitis. I guess I won't worry if he eats a few leaves but I'll start trimming it. I didn't worry about it in the summer since he couldn't reach it but I didn't think about the leaves falling.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I can't remember what its called, but I looked it up and it was listed as toxic. Boston Ivy maybe?

Don't take my word for it. Hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime in with a better answer.
Thank you! You were right.