My Musk Turtle, Janette

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Robertsdale, AL
This is Janette, my stinkpot. She is really sweet. I got her from a friend about 2 weeks ago.

IMG_20120308_005322.jpg
janette1.jpg
janette2.jpg
janette3.jpg
janette4.jpg

this is her tank

tank.jpg
tank1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
she is 1 3/4" long right now

here is the background on Janette:

I got her from my friend. My friend had Janette and 6 sliders crammed into a 10 gallon tank. Janette could not eat very much because she likes to take a piece of food, run to some place on the bottom of the tank and eat, by the time she would go back for another piece of food, the food would be gone. So I offered to take Janette and she agreed. I'm happy and so is Janette.

I came to the conclusion that she is a girl because she has a really small tail and there are no off-colored patches of skin on her hindlegs (like the males have).

jonathan512

5 Year Member
mel262011 said:

I got her from my friend. My friend had Janette and 6 sliders crammed into a 10 gallon tank. Janette could not eat very much because she likes to take a piece of food, run to some place on the bottom of the tank and eat, by the time she would go back for another piece of food, the food would be gone. So I offered to take Janette and she agreed. I'm happy and so is Janette.

I came to the conclusion that she is a girl because she has a really small tail and there are no off-colored patches of skin on her hindlegs (like the males have).

dang ha ha yeah a 10 gall is 2 small for 6 turts XD and thats definately stinkpot behavior ha ha ha when i threw in treats like ham,bologne,fish etc they would grab a big peice and run into the plants to eat at theyre leisure lol even if the peice was much bigger than them .cute little turts way 2 rescue janette from the over crowded predicament

jonathan512 said:
mel262011 said:

dang ha ha yeah a 10 gall is 2 small for 6 turts XD and thats definately stinkpot behavior ha ha ha when i threw in treats like ham,bologne,fish etc they would grab a big peice and run into the plants to eat at theyre leisure lol even if the peice was much bigger than them .cute little turts way 2 rescue janette from the over crowded predicament

nice setup 2 btw really kool i bet she really enjoys all the space ^^

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
Thanks. I gave my friend the extra 20gallon tank that I had so hers would have more room. I have Janette in a 20 gallon tank. She loves the space. In 6 to 8 months, I will probably get her a friend (another musk turtle) so she'll have some company.

jonathan512

5 Year Member
Kool that's awesome ,ya I had my muskies in pairs they really liked hanging out with eachother

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
did your muskies have a basking light? I am debating on whether I should keep it or take it off because she doesn't use it. She will stay under the uv light all day long, but won't go near the basking light.

jonathan512

5 Year Member
I caught my muskies on occasion basking then they ran away when I got near ha ha . They say it's good just to give them the option even though they dnt bask very much

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
my poor musk turtle hates that basking light. My bf turns it on and that poor thing freaks out, but if I only turn on the uv light Janette is fine and doesn't freak out.

jonathan512

5 Year Member
Poor little one uvb is the only one she needs anyway ,mine didn't seem to mind the heat lamp they like sun tans I guess XD

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Most musk turtles are not avid baskers. They usually prefer to hide in the nooks and crannies.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
She'll hide underneath the piece of wood, eat, get some air, then go right back and hide under the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.