My Monitors :)

Hindower

Location (City and/or State)
United States
First is my favorite of my monitors, an 8 month old juvenile ornate with an amazing brain. His enclosure is barren right now, but I'm soon getting some large climbing logs at an expo for him.

IMG_2510.JPG
IMG_2511.JPG
IMG_2512.JPG

Second is my baby Nile, my newest one and the most skittish, who's also getting logs to climb on. He hasn't successfully bitten nor whipped me yet, but needs some serious confidence lol. Maybe he'll get some when he's bigger...

IMG_2513.JPG

Finally, my two baby Savannahs. Very cute, with the top one having an insane appetite while tolerating outside handling, and the bottom one having gone from a whipping, hissing, mouth-gaping demon to a more tolerant yet spunky lizard. You can't really tell from the picture, but the top one is considerably larger.

IMG_2514.JPG
IMG_2515.JPG

Just wanted to share some pics of them. Tell me what you guys think, whether just opinions on them, comments, or questions!

Hindower

United States
No live mice lol, don't have the heart to euthanize them. Going to spend few hundred on frozen feeders and insects at the expo though.

kazjimmy

baldwin park
I used to breed mice. But at the end of the day. I became one of the free mice supplier to the local pet store.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
First is my favorite of my monitors, an 8 month old juvenile ornate with an amazing brain. His enclosure is barren right now, but I'm soon getting some large climbing logs at an expo for him.

View attachment 276061
View attachment 276062
View attachment 276063

Second is my baby Nile, my newest one and the most skittish, who's also getting logs to climb on. He hasn't successfully bitten nor whipped me yet, but needs some serious confidence lol. Maybe he'll get some when he's bigger...

View attachment 276064

Finally, my two baby Savannahs. Very cute, with the top one having an insane appetite while tolerating outside handling, and the bottom one having gone from a whipping, hissing, mouth-gaping demon to a more tolerant yet spunky lizard. You can't really tell from the picture, but the top one is considerably larger.

View attachment 276065
View attachment 276066

Just wanted to share some pics of them. Tell me what you guys think, whether just opinions on them, comments, or questions!
Do the youngsters get along together? I assume they will be separated as they get older.

Hindower

United States
The ornate and nile each live by themselves, but the two savannahs are together at the moment. I think the savannahs are both female though from what little I know about sexing them since they're still so small. I'm planning on keeping them together unless they're males who may end up fighting or are a pair who would just stress each other out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice. You need a dubia colony or two.

I've seen some very aggressive niles. What made you choose that species?

Hindower

United States
Yup, I got a dubia colony running right now and I might also start a small hisser colony if I can find a good seller.

From the beginning I knew I wanted monitor species that are often impulse buys, and I wanted to see if I was able to raise those with terrible reputations to adulthood, hopefully in a way that lets me pet them without my hand being torn off. There's just some weird allure to large, "aggressive" lizards, that makes me want to become a part time dragon tamer.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Yeah the nile will get more confidence and chase you around the house LOL

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
They are beautiful tho.. but id think id go for an asian water monitor before the nile. Kind of similar appearance wise but way better temperaments

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Nice collection you got there though! Get ready to give up half of your house to them lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very nice. But your crazy wanting have the aggressive ones lol
Good luck with them and keep updates

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Yeah i had a green iguana for 17 years and he was an ahole 50% of the time lol i kept a stuffed dinosaur around for him to take his aggression out on.. hey it works

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
My dream lizard has always been a water monitor but my feelings on cleaning out a pool sized tub frequently keeps me on the other side of the fence

boxraddict

Florida
Nice!
i do feed mine frozen thawed rodents but I even preferred prekilled when feeding snake. Safer to the reptile and kinder to the prey.

Hindower

United States
Wow it’s been a while since I was on this forum, my bad.

As for what’s new, I ended up acquiring a hisser colony, but for some reason they just don’t eat much at all compared to my dubias. Both colonies are fed 50% commercial roach chow and 50% fruits, not sure why they have such different appetites.

Anyways, here are some fresh pics of the ornate, savannahs, and my newest additions: a pair of red tegus. I ended up separating the savannahs since the bigger one is a probable male.

9A766A44-C5ED-4A21-B824-D25D9B4CBA97.jpegA342CFD6-2A3B-41D4-96CA-30417344BB72.jpeg000D553B-2220-4228-A51A-01CEFC7CA78C.jpeg73D730D4-4A5B-4746-A968-621FB0419C83.jpegB21164E2-D214-44B5-B388-35408F203237.jpeg

Javk

CA (Bay Area)
Don’t keep you monitors together. They are solitary animals and being together can stress each other out. They may star off well as babies but even as females, will soon fight for territory and the best places of the terrarium. Keep in mind, they fine from Africa, one of the toughest places to survive in. They will feel the need to eliminate one another as that is their natural drive. Even if u provide them with ample food. Don’t learn this the hard way like I did. I had 2 females together. They were in a 12 feet times 20 feet times 35 feet room. The females were both about 1.5 feet long. I was feeding one when one just decided to lunge at the other’s throat. Within seconds, before I could react, she had been thrown onto the ground, minus her head. Please do not let the same fate come to your beauties . You must seperate them ASAP
Best regards Javk