Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
As you all know, a couple weeks ago I had a volunteer high school kid here helping me weigh and take pictures of all my tortoises. I've already shown you the leopards and a couple of the deserts. Now its the manouria's turn. Please bear in mind that these pictures are for the tortoises' identities in my file, not for their perfect - ness or their beauty. Its been about a year since I've used the Dremel on their beaks, so what you see is what you get.

These first couple of pictures are Magumba (Maggie for short) who came to me as a rescue from Pittsburg, PA. Her long time keeper moved high in the mountains where the weather wasn't going to be warm enough for a tortoise, so she gave her to me. Maggie is a long term captive, but wild caught.

Manouria emys emys
Magumba
21lbs
10-15-11Maggie-3.jpg

10-15-11Maggie.jpg

These next three pictures are of the intergrades with the Mee characteristic. They are named in accordance with their size, as #3 and #4. I believe that's #3 in the front.
Manouria emys emys/emys phayre intergrade
#3 & #4 - hatched 1997
15.lbs & 14.75.lbs
10-15-113and4.jpg

10-15-113.jpg

10-15-113and4-2.jpg

The next two pictures are of Duc, a wild caught Manouria emys emys that I got about 3 or four years ago. I don't know his age, but he is around the same size as #3 and #4, so I'm assuming he's right around 14 years old.
10-15-11Duc.jpg

10-15-11Duc-2.jpg

I have two more young females, but I don't find a picture of them. I guess we missed them. One I bought from Michael Rajkumer in Sacramento and the other I bought from Kevin Norred in San Jose.

This next group is the Manouria emys phayrei. Starting with Darth.

Darth hatched 1985
male - 55lbs
10-15-11Darth.jpg

I have to be real careful when I clip his beak because it tends to split up the middle.
10-15-11Darth-2.jpg

This tortoise came to me from New York. Was shipped in a big 4'x8' plywood box and at that time she weighed around 55lbs. Can you imagine the cost of that shipment?

Medea - wild caught, long term captive
female - 60lbs
10-15-11Medea-2.jpg

10-15-11Medea-3.jpg

Phae - 1984
female - 54lbs
10-15-11Phae.jpg

Phae has what is known as scissors beak. Its genetic.
10-15-11Phae-2.jpg

The next two pictures are the intergrades with the Mep characteristic.

#1 - 1997
male - 19lbs
10-15-112.jpg

#2 - 1997
male - 18lbs
10-15-111.jpg

This is the only egg that hatched this year.
Phaery - 2011
10-21-11Phaeri-1.jpg

And her sister from 2009
Emmie - 2009
11-1-11emmie.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Awesome pics, Yvonne. They may not be set up for photograph of the year, lol, but still very cool to get to see them all ;)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Yvonne...I like the shot you submitted for the calendar. But, you really should've used a close-up of Darth or Medea...absolutely stunning!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Wow yvonne, you got some great looking torts. Have you ever posted your enclosures? From what I can see they look beautiful and nosy me wants to see more, LOL.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Adjustor said:
Very interesting torts, they sure have funny looking beaks :p

They're not supposed to be like that. I grind them down with a Dremel about once a year, and its been a bit more than a year since they had attention. They are so big and I have to keep their rain forest so wet, that their feet chew up the ground and not much ground cover (read grazing) will grow there. So most of their food is fed to them on a large piece of plywood. Not grazing means their beaks aren't trimmed in the natural manner. They DO chew on the bark of the trees in their enclosure, but it doesn't seem to help.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What I want to know is... what is that neat plant pictured with them? The huge bluish grey one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's an agave. Its one of my favorites. But very slow growing. It sets pups off to the side that you can chop off and replant elsewhere. Next time it pups I'll try to save one for you. The plant does nicely here in our weather, but I don't know how hardy it would be in snow.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Yvonne, 2 weekends ago, our club went to see Bob and Judy they had a few and she said she had gotten some from you! I am pretty sure I got pictures of them for you. Very cool torties!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Torty Mom said:
Yvonne, 2 weekends ago, our club went to see Bob and Judy they had a few and she said she had gotten some from you! I am pretty sure I got pictures of them for you. Very cool torties!!!

Yes, they have two of my intergrades. I sold them to a guy in Madera who later sold them to Bob and Judy. I'd love to see pictures and be able to compare them with their clutch mates that are still here.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Well, I left my camera in someones car, as soon as I get it back I will post them for you. They have 2 that were huge!! I knew they were your favorites so I asked them if they knew you. They have an awesome compound!

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Hi
Thanks for posting the great photos-would probably never see them her so good to at least see your photos-they all look super!

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Outstanding!! I am in love with Magumba. I can't wait until mine are that big.

Status
Not open for further replies.