My male tortoise won't stop humping my female tortoise.

gattu&coco

Location (City and/or State)
india
It's been more then 6 months now.. It's started in monsoons here. My tortoise keeps on humping his partner almost every chance he gets all day long. He doesn't rest or sleep well and just keeps staring at her. Is this normal?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I have read that owners have to separate their torts for that reason. The male will over breed the female and not leave her alone. You will have to remove her so she can get some peace. I dont think it will change things for him but a good smooth rock will continue to provide him an outlet for all his energy.

I don’t know how this varies from species to species... I have sulcatas and I don’t keep any of mine together...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It's been more then 6 months now.. It's started in monsoons here. My tortoise keeps on humping his partner almost every chance he gets all day long. He doesn't rest or sleep well and just keeps staring at her. Is this normal?

Pairs are no good....they do not want nor need to be in a pair. The male can exhaust and super stress the female, you will want to set up a second enclosure so there is good space for each....the male is just being a male tortoise and means no harm....he is just in the moment(s) for himself and will be driven to do this behavior....