My male tortoise became yellow

Potato_king

Location (City and/or State)
Oman
Good evening, i hope you all doing well.

Today as i was checking on my two tortoises I noticed that the male has become slightly yellowish. He is (i think) a greek or Hermann. So they are supposed to be green or so, but he is kinda yellow now.
The temperature is high but the pen is on the shade
I soak him every day, i spray his pen and i give him fresh food.
Why the other tort didn’t change her color? I hope that’s normal
Thank you

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Pictures of enclosure, temps and tortoise would help. What has changed recently?
Also please have a read of care sheet this is intended for colder climate so you need to adjust for Oman. Permanent shade is no good they need to bask and get vitamin d doing this.

Potato_king

Oman
Pictures of enclosure, temps and tortoise would help. What has changed recently?
Thank you for your feedback, I would put some pictures but now it’s 8:45pm here. It’s very dark. I think the soak changed? I was told that I should soak him every day because of the very high temperature here. Also i used to put hay as a bedding but i replaced it with dirt. The enclosure is basically under the direct sunlight, so they have access to both shade and sun whenever they want

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Both Greeks and Hermanns have yellow coloration, so not much to worry about. If kept indoors, the parts that are supposed to be a brighter yellow tend to be a dull off white. With exposure to sun in an outdoor enclosure for several months, the yellow tends to come out. The other tort may get more yellow with time as well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The OP has stated they will post pictures during the day as it’s too dark at the moment.

I think it’s important to remember if you don’t have anything constructive to say, don’t respond at all :)
Really! I didn't say anything wrong. Tortoises are not green and we need pictures to be able to help.
You might want to take note of your own words.

Manchester
Really! I didn't say anything wrong. Tortoises are not green and we need pictures to be able to help.
You might want to take note of your own words.

Oh no I agree what you said is correct - but the way you went about it could be seen as slightly patronising and intimidating to new members looking for advice. At the end of the day anybody posting here is looking for guidance, and responding with “Seriously?” when somebody has wrong information just isn’t constructive.

I don’t want to distract from the OPs thread, so we can agree to disagree and leave it there! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh no I agree what you said is correct - but the way you went about it could be seen as slightly patronising and intimidating to new members looking for advice. At the end of the day anybody posting here is looking for guidance, and responding with “Seriously?” when somebody has wrong information just isn’t constructive.

I don’t want to distract from the OPs thread, so we can agree to disagree and leave it there! :)
No, everything I said was constructive. I say what it is and don't blow smoke like some others do.
If this isn't a joke thread, yes we have them, stick around as long as I have, then the OP needs to know tortoises are not green. Also needs to know that without pictures everything is a guess.

Manchester
No, everything I said was constructive. I say what it is and don't blow smoke like some others do.
If this isn't a joke thread, yes we have them, stick around as long as I have, then the OP needs to know tortoises are not green. Also needs to know that without pictures everything is a guess.
If that’s your mindset when it comes to educating people then best of luck to you! Like I said, agree to disagree. Have a lovely night.

Potato_king

Oman
Sorry didn’t know that not posting pictures will cause so much inconvenience. as I said it was dark and I usually post pictures whenever i have a question
Here is some pictures
8ABC6A8E-F43C-498E-8851-3FC964FE05BF.jpeg
his color got better today

A699C29A-107C-4265-B722-B4EC4B7E208C.jpeg
There is some hay inside because he only
sleeps inside the hay. I clean it up every day. Also they have access to sun for at least 4 hours a day.

Potato_king

Oman
Both Greeks and Hermanns have yellow coloration, so not much to worry about. If kept indoors, the parts that are supposed to be a brighter yellow tend to be a dull off white. With exposure to sun in an outdoor enclosure for several months, the yellow tends to come out. The other tort may get more yellow with time as well.
Ohh that’s why, thank you very much. It is normal then
Their pen is outside and they like basking under the direct sunlight, especially the male

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Sorry didn’t know that not posting pictures will cause so much inconvenience. as I said it was dark and I usually post pictures whenever i have a question
Here is some pictures
View attachment 323033

View attachment 323034
sleeps inside the hay. I clean it up every day. Also they have access to sun for at least 4 hours a day.
Looks normal color to me!

Manchester
Here is some pictures
View attachment 323033

View attachment 323034
He has a lovely smooth shell!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you all so much, I obviously was freaking out for nothing.
I think you were worried about the yellow line forming in between the scutes? That's new growth. After a few days it will darken. The new growth is always lighter for a while than the original shell .