My male russian has gotten on my nerves...

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
I love my tortoises, but sometimes they just get on your last nerve.. Especially my male. Last year he was great, eating all the weeds I gave him, active, personable, had good even growth.. This year he has been very annoying. My females come over from across the pen when I bring the pile of weeds to their tray. They eat a lot, and have good growth and they're awesome. My male has become lazy and spoiled, even though his care is the same as the females. He lives with them, for Pete's sake. He never comes to the food dish anymore, and if he does he just sniffs the weeds or picks off any flowers on top, then goes away. I have seen in his poop lots of grass, which is strange. Why would he chose grass over fresh weeds? Also, I can't "starve" him until he eats the weeds because then he just goes to eating grass again. It is so strange, and I'm kind of getting worried about his health and his nutrient intake. He will eat romaine, this dandelion type plant, florida pusley, and any flowers, but that is not at all a varied diet.. Idk.. thanks for listening to the rant, any of you get fed up with your tortoises? Is it a male russian tortoise trait to not eat as much as the females do or what? Also not sure where this thread should go, I always mess up the place lol so just move it to the correct spot.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Men. Amiright?

Well. I would first wonder if he is being dominated in small ways all day long that makes him hesitate to dig in. The easiest way to test that is to separate him and see if he will reestablish and eat more in isolation...
Good idea, thank you! That good definitely be it, those females are little tanks. I am going to separate him, we'll see.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
I love my tortoises, but sometimes they just get on your last nerve.. Especially my male. Last year he was great, eating all the weeds I gave him, active, personable, had good even growth.. This year he has been very annoying. My females come over from across the pen when I bring the pile of weeds to their tray. They eat a lot, and have good growth and they're awesome. My male has become lazy and spoiled, even though his care is the same as the females. He lives with them, for Pete's sake. He never comes to the food dish anymore, and if he does he just sniffs the weeds or picks off any flowers on top, then goes away. I have seen in his poop lots of grass, which is strange. Why would he chose grass over fresh weeds? Also, I can't "starve" him until he eats the weeds because then he just goes to eating grass again. It is so strange, and I'm kind of getting worried about his health and his nutrient intake. He will eat romaine, this dandelion type plant, florida pusley, and any flowers, but that is not at all a varied diet.. Idk.. thanks for listening to the rant, any of you get fed up with your tortoises? Is it a male russian tortoise trait to not eat as much as the females do or what? Also not sure where this thread should go, I always mess up the place lol so just move it to the correct spot.
Weird? Good luck. I hope the separating works!

Jon c

Williamsville
Keep us updated on how the separation goes. I'm possibly about to purchase an adult male that has been living with a female most of his life with no issues. I'm worried he's going to pissed and miss living with someone. I don't know if these little guys get like that or not.

KronksMom

Illinois
Keep us updated on how the separation goes. I'm possibly about to purchase an adult male that has been living with a female most of his life with no issues. I'm worried he's going to pissed and miss living with someone. I don't know if these little guys get like that or not.
He will definitely prefer living alone. A lot of the behavior that we humans tend to anthropomorphize as them "being buddies" (following each other around, "snuggling," etc.) is actually tortoise dominance behavior. Once they each have their own separate space, they will be much more comfortable to not need to compete for what they believe to be limited resources.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
He'll probably just hate the change of scenery. I think it probably just throws off their body compass for awhile so it takes time for them to adjust.

KronksMom

Illinois
He'll probably just hate the change of scenery. I think it probably just throws off their body compass for awhile so it takes time for them to adjust.
True. And you might find him looking for his "buddy." That doesn't mean he misses the other tortoise, just that he keeps expecting him or her to come back, so he'll be looking for him/her for a while to make sure he/she is really gone. Don't mistake that diligent patrol of his new territory for him wanting a new "friend." Just try to remember that tortoise time runs slower than people time. They take longer than us for just about everything, including emotional adjustments. But they're worth all the patience.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
True. And you might find him looking for his "buddy." That doesn't mean he misses the other tortoise, just that he keeps expecting him or her to come back, so he'll be looking for him/her for a while to make sure he/she is really gone. Don't mistake that diligent patrol of his new territory for him wanting a new "friend." Just try to remember that tortoise time runs slower than people time. They take longer than us for just about everything, including emotional adjustments. But they're worth all the patience.
Yes. S/he is just making sure the new digs are up to par. No unwanted company is top of the list.