my logic never works for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike1011

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, last year I picked up three 6" aldabs with split scutes hoping that the higher incub. temps causing the splits will get me 3 females(which I wanted). Well they are all doing great but one is now 12" and is looking and acting more and more like a male(tail is MUCH longer and broader than other two and is extremely outgoing and sometimes even dominent over other two which are both 10"). I know its not certain but judging from some prior experience with them I would guess at this point this one is going to be a male. Was this just stupid logic on my part or wasnt I pretty safe to guess they would be all females?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, its not always a sure thing. Sometimes its genetic and not heat related.

The scutes, I mean.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Hey Mike, I can not debate the split scute thing being indicative of being female. I will say that out of all of our hatchlings we have never had one with a split or deformed scute. I have spoke to others that strongly feel the split scute is gentic and normal in some aldabras. Other than the ones you have that are from us, can you confirm they were incubated at higher temperatures?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've always heard that split scutes are USUALLY female, but not always...

mike1011

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
Hey Mike, I can not debate the split scute thing being indicative of being female. I will say that out of all of our hatchlings we have never had one with a split or deformed scute. I have spoke to others that strongly feel the split scute is gentic and normal in some aldabras. Other than the ones you have that are from us, can you confirm they were incubated at higher temperatures?

Hi Greg, the split scute ones were imports with little info on them. The info was: the where aldabs, size and split scutes so I cannot confirm anything on incubation so you may be 100% correct on it being genetic . They are great torts, I just assumed incorrectly hoping for females and you know the story with that assuming thing... But like I said they are great torts and I will see what time brings me with the other two.

B

BigTime

I keep a male redfoot that has a split scute. He was captive hatched about 10 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.