My little Olive's first Hibiscus...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Antigua West Indies
Sorry about the messy water this was just before I changed her substrate over so I wasn't too worried it's sparkly clean now!! :)

Oooo Mom this flower is soo pretty just like me!!
IMG_4835p-vi.jpg

IMG_4789p-vi.jpg

I'm almost done Mom,,
IMG_4794p-vi.jpg

Mom where'd you go?
IMG_4797p-vi.jpg

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Lol! I love the third pic. Olive is a very good poser, thanks for sharing!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Sooo cute, Oliver is a little cutie. I love the first pic, he is very photogenic :D
Thanks for sharing.

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
In the first pic she looks like she is thinking "OK, I smiled like you asked. Can I PLEASE eat the flower now? Oh yeah, while I'm at it, will you put that camera away 'cause it's buggin' me".
Olive is a cutie, great pics.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Great pictures, she is SO cute!!
Clementine that's too funny, it does look like she's thinking that!! I love the last picture too- what a goof ;)
Nelson apparently loves hibiscus (according to his breeder) but I can't find any around here!! My neighbors have a hibiscus plant in a pot on their driveway...considering stealing a flower... ;)

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
ChiKat said:
My neighbors have a hibiscus plant in a pot on their driveway...considering stealing a flower... ;)

Make sure they don't use fertilizers/pesticides for it. Still waiting for mine (3 weeks now) to be ready for Thor to eat. Since I got it at Home depot, the pot it was in had fertilizers.

Flametorch

5 Year Member
lol, well mine totally blew off the hibiscus... (in a way I grew attached to that plant anyway lol)

Madortoise

5 Year Member
I love all the pix but 4th one reminds me of Penelope...that Olive is completely covered in hibiscus and going inside the flower. Sooooo cute.:D The difference is, Penelope doesn't go for any other colored hibiscus but red. You're lucky Olive likes the white one, too.

I love all the pix but 4th one reminds me of Penelope...that Olive is completely covered in hibiscus and going inside the flower. Sooooo cute.:D The difference is, Penelope doesn't go for any other colored hibiscus but red. You're lucky Olive likes the white one, too.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I am so blown away that I have had my torts for YEARS and NEVER gave them all these things that are in my yard. A BIG huge thanks that I found this forum. You can read all you want,but sometimes things don't set in till you see them. I have had a hibiscus plant for years in my house and now, poor thing, can't hold a bloom for very long, I pluck them off and my Jack runs to them. I picked Rose of Sharon from our neighbor whose has a gigantic one, I am wondering if you can freeze them to save some. There are hundreds of flowers, they are white and red and my torts love them. ANd just today I went to our produce place and their outside decoration plants were losing so many flowers I just picked and picked them, people going in thought I was just de heading them. Only thing is they are purple and I wonder if my guys will even eat them.(But great point Rob about spraying them, I am calling tomorrow to see if they did anything, just because they are an organic market you just never know!) Thanks guys, for opening up some closed eyes!!
Na

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
I called my Home Depot to see if they watered them with miracle grow or anything and he said they used just straight water and he gave me a date for when they would have been fertilised most places use soil with ferts in it,, I think it's the little white round balls you find in the soil.

I don't think this will work for flowers but for the leaves if you have extreme winters like I do you can microwave them for about 20 seconds when you get it out it will be dry and crispy.. I havn't actually tryed to get Olive to eat one but I have a stash going of crispy ones ready for the winter.. I could always just crush them and sprinkle on her food.

Nay said:
I am so blown away that I have had my torts for YEARS and NEVER gave them all these things that are in my yard. A BIG huge thanks that I found this forum. You can read all you want,but sometimes things don't set in till you see them. I have had a hibiscus plant for years in my house and now, poor thing, can't hold a bloom for very long, I pluck them off and my Jack runs to them. I picked Rose of Sharon from our neighbor whose has a gigantic one, I am wondering if you can freeze them to save some. There are hundreds of flowers, they are white and red and my torts love them. ANd just today I went to our produce place and their outside decoration plants were losing so many flowers I just picked and picked them, people going in thought I was just de heading them. Only thing is they are purple and I wonder if my guys will even eat them.(But great point Rob about spraying them, I am calling tomorrow to see if they did anything, just because they are an organic market you just never know!) Thanks guys, for opening up some closed eyes!!
Na

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Yes we have winters here where I have to buy everything. Lots of snow!!
\Are you drying the leaves out Shelli?

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Yep... I don't know if they will still have nutrients when dry but hay does so I don't see why not but i'm not a leafollogist.. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.