My little buddy needs a girlfriend

landon

5 Year Member
The name is squirt. He is a 5 year old marginated looking for a girl to possibly settle or down or just have some fun. If any lucky lady is interested please contact :) :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Tortoises are solitary animals that should not be kept in pairs. Getting a “girlfriend” would just stress both animals, and the male would probably over breed the female. Your tortoise does not need a significant other, friend, or sibling.

landon

5 Year Member
It’s a nicer way of saying my tortoise is ready to breed, was having a little fun with the situation.. I am aware of their solitude. Do you have a female tortoise who he can breed with? Or

landon

5 Year Member
I find it annoying how passive aggressive people can be on here.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Most people who are new to having tortoises seem to want to get a second one for company or girlfriend and such. We are only telling you this to protect yourtortoise and prevent massive medical bills or death. Tortoises can be very aggressive to another tort. If you have one male and one female, he will overbreed the female, stress both of them out and can hurt the female doing this. You can house them separately and only put them together for breeding. Or, if you have a group of 3 or more, they may get along . The aggression is divided between several female instead of one. Most people don’t know this. We are just trying to help prevent a disaster for both you and the torts.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I find it annoying how passive aggressive people can be on here.

No there are some nice and helpful people on the TFO that try very hard to help Evan that 1-2 unthankful people . Evan if they are afraid to say “ thank you “ for all the FREE advice !
Sorry for speaking my mind ! Have a great day !

landon

5 Year Member
Does anyone have a female marginated who would like to breed it with the male I have,, that’s literally the only question I am asking if that could be answered. It be very helpful. And I guess the assumption was made that I don’t know what im Doing and that’s not the case. I do hope someone here can answer the question. I guess being more literal with words would help keep things simple for everyone

landon

5 Year Member
No there are some nice and helpful people on the TFO that try very hard to help Evan that 1-2 unthankful people . Evan if they are afraid to say “ thank you “ for all the FREE advice !
Sorry for speaking my mind ! Have a great day !

Speak away greatful for advice just looking for a breeding partner for my male... and it turns into this.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
If you're looking to get into breeding, I would recommend buying a few females for your male. That provides a more successful ratio and he doesn't constantly bother just one female to mate.

If you're just looking to "borrow" someone else's female so your guy can get some action, I don't know any breeders who would take up the offer, honestly. Males are aggressive breeders and if he were to injure a female that belongs to someone else, that would not be good.

And what would be the plan for the eggs if she were to get fertilized from the encounter? Shipping a breeding size adult female back and forth is expensive and stressful for her too. I know it takes time for a tortoise to adjust to new surroundings, so nothing would begin to happen right away, and you would legally be in charge of the care and well-being of someone else's tortoise.

Lots of things to consider, that's all.

landon

5 Year Member
If you're looking to get into breeding, I would recommend buying a few females for your male. That provides a more successful ratio and he doesn't constantly bother just one female to mate.

If you're just looking to "borrow" someone else's female so your guy can get some action, I don't know any breeders who would take up the offer, honestly. Males are aggressive breeders and if he were to injure a female that belongs to someone else, that would not be good.

And what would be the plan for the eggs if she were to get fertilized from the encounter? Shipping a breeding size adult female back and forth is expensive and stressful for her too. I know it takes time for a tortoise to adjust to new surroundings, so nothing would begin to happen right away, and you would legally be in charge of the care and well-being of someone else's tortoise.

Lots of things to consider, that's all.

Thank you very much!! Sincerely thank you. I was looking for someone local in my area to more less let my guy get some action and let the female owner keep the eggs and do as they please with them. I do know that the breeding process is aggressive in nature and was thinking the potential clutch could be compensation. You have raised great points and a 100% appreciate all of them. You May have saved me from a potentially bad situation thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Male tortoises are fine without any action. They may pace the perimeter, but they do that anyway, most tortoises do. But once he's been with a female, he's going to really be antsy when she's removed. He'll drive you crazy wanting her back.

landon

5 Year Member
Male tortoises are fine without any action. They may pace the perimeter, but they do that anyway, most tortoises do. But once he's been with a female, he's going to really be antsy when she's removed. He'll drive you crazy wanting her back.

again another great tip thank you :) much appreciated :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I wouldn’t introduce them for casual breeding for so many reasons.

In addition to the reasons given above, you must also consider quarantine.

I would never introduce ‘my female’ to someone else’s male.

If establishing a group, they should be kept entirely separately for at least 6 months so you can observe them and be absolutely certain that neither would make the other sick.

For ‘my tort’, I only have your word that yours seems healthy. And you only have my word. That wouldn’t be good enough for me and it’s not a risk I would ever be prepared to take.