My lifelong goal finally reached.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
When I was a small child we had a pet box turtle for a time like a lot of people. I became quite attached to him, more so than any of my siblings. From that point on when anyone would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up I told them I wanted to be a turtle trainer.

Nowadays, I am owned by two adorable box turtles. I am also owned by 3 lizards and I will occasionally give my boxies a couple of mealworms that I keep around for them. My boxie named Peanut knows what the bowl looks like that the mealworms are kept in so she gets a bit excited when she sees it. I take out a mealworm for her and put it on the ground. Usually in her excitement she is too busy looking around to realize I put it there, so I tap the floor next to the worm. This has been our routine for a while. Now she knows to look where I'm tapping. so last night I'm telling my husband this and while relaying the story I used the phrase "I trained Peanut to...". My husband looks at me like I'm nuts. "So it only took you about 40 years then"....lol. Yes, apparently at the ripe old age of 45 I have attained my life long goal. I am a turtle trainer. :)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I grant the title of ............"Turtle Whisper" to Lisa..........Congratulations

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
"I trained Peanut to...". My husband looks at me like I'm nuts. "So it only took you about 40 years then"

In addition to the elusive turtle training skills, I would like to have seen the expression on your husbands face when he proclaimed your lack of sanity...lol...

Good job, so, at 40 you have time to teach one more trick , make it a doozie...:p

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
ascott said:
"I trained Peanut to...". My husband looks at me like I'm nuts. "So it only took you about 40 years then"

In addition to the elusive turtle training skills, I would like to have seen the expression on your husbands face when he proclaimed your lack of sanity...lol...

Good job, so, at 40 you have time to teach one more trick , make it a doozie...:p

Actually I'm 45. But you can take 5 years off. I won't complain.

Yeah, I like that. The Turtle Whisperer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ascott said:

Well now that she's got some experience, it might only take her 20 years to train her second trick. In theory she could get in another two or three tricks before she dies of very old age...

:D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well there you go check that one off move to the next . :D

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
mike taylor said:
Well there you go check that one off move to the next . :D

The sad thing is I don't have a next goal in mind!...lol I raised two children that are grown now. They are 20 and 19 years old. I am 45 years old. One has left the nest already and one will in the near future. I'm sitting here like, "ok, what do I do now??"

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Now I like that idea!

Actually, I'm trying to look into taking the Introduction to Wildlife Rehabilitation course here in Ohio. Waiting to get some info.

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Way to go Turtle Whisperer congrats!! You definitely got me thinking what should I train my tort to do... ?!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
But...are you a turtle trainer....or....a turtle trainee? Did your box turtles train you? Are they human whisperers?

;););)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
lisa127 said:
The sad thing is I don't have a next goal in mind!...lol I raised two children that are grown now. They are 20 and 19 years old. I am 45 years old. One has left the nest already and one will in the near future. I'm sitting here like, "ok, what do I do now??"

TORTOISE FARMER!!!!!!! :D

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Congrats! I am also a fellow turtle whisper. Myrtle gets so excited when she is getting fed her little legs and body is going a mile minute begging that she misses where I feed so I tap the tank or point. I think you need to offer how to train your turtle classes on you tube :) I would love to watch your techniques and of course see your box turtle!