My Leopards Official Growth Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hey TFO, how's everyone and their tortoises been? :D

I recently purchased two hatchling Leopard Tortoises, as some of you might know and have plans to update this thread keeping track of their growth. I have one Geochelone Pardalis Babcocki whom I purchased from a fellow TFO member name Jtrux and one "pure" Geochelone Pardalis Pardalis from Ben a breeder located out in Minnesota. You can contact him through his Facebook page "Chubs Leopards" https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chubs-Leopards/206914369352239 as mentioned on my previous threads, Jtrux and Ben, are both overall great and friendly people to have dealt with and have been very helpful when it came to making these purchases.

For those who haven't met the two, meet Mio (Babcocki) and Mickey (Pardalis) as you can already see there's a huge difference in comparisons. If you don't know the difference between a Babcocki and a Pardalis, check out Neal's thread on how to identify the two. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-27409.html They're both being raised in "closed chambers" and many will agree that, that is the absolute best way to raise a hatchling. For more information on "closed chambers" and how to raise hatchlings/babies, check out Tom's threads http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-18448.html make sure to read word for word, you won't have to ask questions later. ;)

j2sc.jpg

jwi3.jpg

MIO (pictures are in chronological order)
I received Mio, on August 7, 2013, it has almost been a month since I've had her and today August 29, 2013, I was finally able to weigh her and take pictures for future comparisons. The first 3 pictures belong to Jtrux, I don't know when these were taken, but as you can see she has already begun to grow under his care.

3est.jpg

l2k0.jpg

pz4m.jpg

Mio's arrival (August 7, 2013)

whbe.jpg

iebd.jpg

zkug.jpg

Mio's first official update (August 29, 2013) 22 days later and weighing in at 53g.

r7gq.jpg

jy86.jpg

rbi6.jpg

xul0.jpg

MICKEY (pictures are in chronological order)
I received Mickey, today August 29, 2013 and have only had him for a few hours. I was able to weigh him and take pictures for future comparisons along with the rest of my tortoises. The first picture belongs to Ben, owner of Chubs Leopards. I don't know when this was taken, but as you can see there's been noticeable growth from when that picture was taken and from today.

cgul.jpg

Mickey's arrival and first official update (August 29, 2013) weighing in at 48g.

n8cb.jpg

h1pl.jpg

twx9.jpg

69pt.jpg

h2eu.jpg

yzi0.jpg

4w4v.jpg

Well there you have it! This is the first of many, many years to come. If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them or if someone else with more experience can, they can too! :D I hope you all enjoyed the first official update and I will be making one for my Sulcata's Mervin and Mabel hopefully by the end of the night. Stay tuned and thanks for looking!

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Mio and Mickey's Official Growth Chart

Beautiful tortoises !! And your pictures are great !! :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
RE: Mio and Mickey's Official Growth Chart

This will be a fun thread. Your pictures are indeed awesome and your little leopards are both wonderful. It will be fun to see their growth and the pattern on their shells as they grow. Woo hoo! : )

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: Mio and Mickey's Official Growth Chart

Congrats on GPP. It will be interesting to see if it catches up to mine with growth. When was it hatched? It should say it on the health certificate. Mine hatched on 4-2-13

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Correction. 4-20-13

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans

Aww you got mickey!
Im definitely subbing to this thread.
The difference between the two's shell pattern is amazing. They are both beautiful though. I don't know which I like more.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using TortForum mobile app

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV

Thanks, yeah I'm excited to see if he will too. I'll probably post another update towards mid September. He hatch on May 22, 2013, just two days and a month younger than yours.
mikeh said:
Congrats on GPP. It will be interesting to see if it catches up to mine with growth. When was it hatched? It should say it on the health certificate. Mine hatched on 4-2-13

Correction. 4-20-13

Thank you! :) It'll be exciting to see how both their patterns start forming, their already starting to show signs of new white patterns.
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
This will be a fun thread. Your pictures are indeed awesome and your little leopards are both wonderful. It will be fun to see their growth and the pattern on their shells as they grow. Woo hoo! : )

mikeh

5 Year Member

Great, we will compare notes.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV

Yeah, I couldn't resist his charm! :D I was also amazed and stunned to see the difference once I had the both of them together. I personally love Mio's high domed shell and butterscotch-black coloring and Mickey's spotted patterns as well as his sandy-beige coloring, both are incredibly beautiful and unique though.
srod said:
Aww you got mickey!
Im definitely subbing to this thread.
The difference between the two's shell pattern is amazing. They are both beautiful though. I don't know which I like more.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using TortForum mobile app

Sounds good, I'd like to share caring techniques if there's a difference in growth on my next update.
mikeh said:
Great, we will compare notes.

SulcataDud3 said:
Thanks, yeah I'm excited to see if he will too. I'll probably post another update towards mid September. He hatched on May 22, 2013, just two days and a month younger than yours.
mikeh said:

Correction. 4-20-13

Thank you! :) It'll be exciting to see how both their patterns start forming, their already starting to show signs of new white patterns.
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:

animalfreak

5 Year Member
Dallas Texas BABY!

Great pictures and very healthy torts!! Both are just gorgeous!! Torts have the absolute cutest little feet!!!!!!!!! <3 :D ;)

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal

Cute!

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX

Looking at them side by side, you would swear that the Gpp is bigger but he actually weighs slightly less. I'm curious to see how they grow as well.

dar64

5 Year Member

Great information ! I may have missed it. Do you know when these have hatched. Yours are actually bigger than mine. I have 4 from two different clutches . I don't know exact hatch dates but the breeder said they were around 4 months old when I got them . I have had ongoing soft shell with two of them for some reason. (discussed on list in the past) They are very healthy other than that. I've just decided to relax. Once I can let them stay outside daily I think it will help. Its way to hot for them. I try to get them out an hour here and there.

I do wonder , Could RO water take away some nutrients that they may need. I also have a water softener. Could this impact the shells at all ?

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV

Thanks! I don't know when Mio (Babcocki) hatched, but Micked Hatched May 22-2013. Mickey, is 3 months and 10 days old. My advice is to relax and do what you've been doing along with taking in the information you've heard from the other members here. I usually like to start off my hatchlings with Mazuri/Grassland and Rep-Cal/Herptivite for a week or so to kick start their diet and help them bulk up. Then I start feeding them Turnip Greens, Escarole, Cactus Pads, Rose Leaves and let them graze on grasses/weeds during their sunning time. They only get Mazuri/Grasland in the mornings after their soak. I honestly can't provide you with an answer about RO water or water softeners, but I'm sure someone here can provide the answers you're looking for. I have been using distilled water because that's why I use for my misters and humidifiers and when I don't, I use purified drinking water. I stay away from tap because the water here in Vegas, isn't very good and it's hard.
dar64 said:
Great information ! I may have missed it. Do you know when these have hatched. Yours are actually bigger than mine. I have 4 from two different clutches . I don't know exact hatch dates but the breeder said they were around 4 months old when I got them . I have had ongoing soft shell with two of them for some reason. (discussed on list in the past) They are very healthy other than that. I've just decided to relax. Once I can let them stay outside daily I think it will help. Its way to hot for them. I try to get them out an hour here and there.

I do wonder , Could RO water take away some nutrients that they may need. I also have a water softener. Could this impact the shells at all ?

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
August 31, 2013

I took these pictures this morning out in their sunning pen after their morning soak.

zied.jpg

35ol.jpg

9jyx.jpg

4nbl.jpg

5jrl.jpg

8u0f.jpg

mnp1.jpg

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
September 2, 2013

Mickey, this morning after his soak having a Hibiscus leaf and grazing on grass at 3 months and 12 days old.

I feel that if hatchlings/babies are surrounded by grasses in their sunning pen, they are drawn to the grasses and become curious enough to try it. My Babcocki, was also going to down on some.

v8vs.jpg

ge80.jpg

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member

Gorgeous Leo's, I recently ordered two from Ben and I also have a P. Pardalis and a babcocki from ATC

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV

Thanks, you have some yourself. Did you order the ones he had posted on the for sale section? You've made a great purchase. You should start a growth progress thread!
DevilsLettuce said:
Gorgeous Leo's, I recently ordered two from Ben and I also have a P. Pardalis and a babcocki from ATC

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
September 14, 2013

It has been 14 days since Mio and Mickey's last weigh in. Here are there current weights and some growth pictures.

MIO

(August 29, 2013) - 53g
(September 14, 2013) - 59g

3cvh.jpg

euyw.jpg

z9of.jpg

9ark.jpg

9ddh.jpg

3vdj.jpg

MICKEY

(August 29, 2013) - 48g
(September 14, 2013) - 55g