My leopard baby seems not digesting

aiyaecho

Location (City and/or State)
ca
I've had a tough time with this leopard baby. First of all, it was my fault did not prepare enough for it. I went on a 3-week trip without having time to set up the heating equipment for it, so I put it along with another leopard 3 months older than it. Being bullied, it reduced appetite and slept all day when I came back.

I separated them and equipped with heating for it right after I came back, It has been 2 weeks but the small one still has little or no interest in food, sleep 95% of the time, and the food it took in cames out basically non-digested.

FYI I have the humidity around 65%, basking spot around 85F and 70F at night, and the baby is 6 months old now.

Is there anything I can do to get its appetite back?

Thank you for your help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've had a tough time with this leopard baby. First of all, it was my fault did not prepare enough for it. I went on a 3-week trip without having time to set up the heating equipment for it, so I put it along with another leopard 3 months older than it. Being bullied, it reduced appetite and slept all day when I came back.

I separated them and equipped with heating for it right after I came back, It has been 2 weeks but the small one still has little or no interest in food, sleep 95% of the time, and the food it took in cames out basically non-digested.

FYI I have the humidity around 65%, basking spot around 85F and 70F at night, and the baby is 6 months old now.

Is there anything I can do to get its appetite back?

Thank you for your help
Your temperatures are much too cool and they cannot digest their food when things are too cool. They also don't have much appetite.

Ambient temperature anywhere in the enclosure should not drop below 80 day or night for a normal, healthy baby. For yours, I'd keep it over 85 for a while. Be sure you are soaking daily during this time, if you aren't already, and keep the soak water warm for the entire duration of 30-40 minutes. You humidity is also too low and pyramiding is likely.

A closed chamber will make it much easier to maintain the correct temps and humidity.

Where did you get this tortoise?

aiyaecho

ca
Your temperatures are much too cool and they cannot digest their food when things are too cool. They also don't have much appetite.

Ambient temperature anywhere in the enclosure should not drop below 80 day or night for a normal, healthy baby. For yours, I'd keep it over 85 for a while. Be sure you are soaking daily during this time, if you aren't already, and keep the soak water warm for the entire duration of 30-40 minutes. You humidity is also too low and pyramiding is likely.

A closed chamber will make it much easier to maintain the correct temps and humidity.

Where did you get this tortoise?

Hi Tom,
I don't talk much on this forum but I know you are THE ONE to help me.

I do soak them every day. I get this one from William at Kapidolo Farm at Pomona Reptile show.

Currently, I have an enclosure that my friend built me out of kindness. Fancy but open. Trying to figure out how to make it closed. I don't have a budget to buy a new one(the ones I saw at shows are around $1000). Not sure if you have suggestions.

Thanks a million

IMG_5802.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom,
I don't talk much on this forum but I know you are THE ONE to help me.

I do soak them every day. I get this one from William at Kapidolo Farm at Pomona Reptile show.

Currently, I have an enclosure that my friend built me out of kindness. Fancy but open. Trying to figure out how to make it closed. I don't have a budget to buy a new one(the ones I saw at shows are around $1000). Not sure if you have suggestions.

Thanks a million
Will starts his babies exceptionally well, so we know that is not your problem. Sounds like low temps and low humidity are your biggest issues.

@Markw84 what are your 2x4' cages selling for? I'm certain it was far less than $1000.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Will starts his babies exceptionally well, so we know that is not your problem. Sounds like low temps and low humidity are your biggest issues.

@Markw84 what are your 2x4' cages selling for? I'm certain it was far less than $1000.

The 24 x 48 enclosure is $619. That would work very well for now for a baby Leopard tortoise. That can also be expanded in a few years to 24 x 96 as the tortoise grows by adding an expansion 24 x 48 unit for $479.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
See if you can find a Christmas Tree Storage Bin, mfg'd by Iris. It may be too late in the season, but that would work great as a temporary measure. You can cut holes in the lid and line the holes with foil, for the lights to shine through. Your baby's problem, like Tom has said, is heat and humidity. You can't achieve that in your open top table. Here's what a Christmas Tree Bin looks like:

87227656-e49f-43c0-91b9-2b149535e5bb_1.1b3785b7d09927c22790130ae2130a73.jpeg

They're only about $35.

aiyaecho

ca
See if you can find a Christmas Tree Storage Bin, mfg'd by Iris. It may be too late in the season, but that would work great as a temporary measure. You can cut holes in the lid and line the holes with foil, for the lights to shine through. Your baby's problem, like Tom has said, is heat and humidity. You can't achieve that in your open top table. Here's what a Christmas Tree Bin looks like:

87227656-e49f-43c0-91b9-2b149535e5bb_1.1b3785b7d09927c22790130ae2130a73.jpeg

They're only about $35.
Hi Yvonne:
Thank God I have exactly that box at home. Just need to modify the lid. This is incredibly helpful. Can I know what's the purpose of foil? I get the letting the light shine through the hole part but now sure how the foil is contributing.

Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The foil around the cut out holes will help to protect the plastic from the hot light. The light doesn't just 'shine through,' the light fixture itself actually is right at the hole.

aiyaecho

ca
The foil around the cut out holes will help to protect the plastic from the hot light. The light doesn't just 'shine through,' the light fixture itself actually is right at the hole.

Thank you Yvonne. I will have this done by this week.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Would love to see shots of your updated enclosure once you've finished! Lucky to have exactly what you needed on hand!

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How do I get the 24 x 48?

@Markw84 has started making some outstanding closed chamber enclosures, which can be seen here by typing in the search bar “Best Tortoise Enclosure Yet!! You can email him at [email protected] for more information. These cages includes all the electronics too.

phoenix988

5 Year Member
If your tortoise is bullied, and something else, try this, just mix it with the drinking water and let them drink it. I am using it. it kinds worked.
by the way, they need temperature not lower than 28-celsius day and night. I just keep one " Zoo Med Repticare 60 Watt Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter " ON all the times next to their hideaway.
they know where to park themself. ?
and get a " Mega-Ray Mercury Vapor Bulb - 160 Watts ", bigger watts, the light more natural to the Sun.
these are the two you really need for them.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-01-23 155846.png
    Annotation 2020-01-23 155846.png
    351.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Annotation 2020-01-23 1558466.png
    Annotation 2020-01-23 1558466.png
    299 KB · Views: 3
  • Annotation 2020-01-23 15584667.png
    Annotation 2020-01-23 15584667.png
    313.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: