My Latest Endeavor...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Today's flight training went very well. She followed me very well, but was still attentive and checking out the bushes and stuff. She's figured out that I now want her to leave the glove and go perch somewhere high. From her high perch, she's hitting the lure fantastically too. It is a thing of beauty I tell ya'! Speaking of beauty, I took some pics of her in a low tree at the start of today's training/flight session. I think this is what they mean when they say picturesque:
IMG_7657.JPG

IMG_7658.JPG

IMG_7653.JPG

She's ready to go hunting. Tomorrow.

Sabrina8797

Illinois
Today's flight training went very well. She followed me very well, but was still attentive and checking out the bushes and stuff. She's figured out that I now want her to leave the glove and go perch somewhere high. From her high perch, she's hitting the lure fantastically too. It is a thing of beauty I tell ya'! Speaking of beauty, I took some pics of her in a low tree at the start of today's training/flight session. I think this is what they mean when they say picturesque:
View attachment 260842

View attachment 260843

View attachment 260844

She's beautiful! I can't wait to hear about tomorrow's hunt!

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas
View attachment 260842

View attachment 260843

View attachment 260844

Glad to see things going well. I got a Hahn's macaw this fall. So, I decided to sit this season out.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
View attachment 260842

View attachment 260843

View attachment 260844

Tacoma is gorgeous and I am looking forward to reading all the up coming updates. Thanks Tom for sharing with us again.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
If it had died out in the wild, some other animal would have eaten it and been poisoned too, and then the animal that ate that animal would be poisoned and so on...
Why I try to tell everyone I know not to use rat poison. Too much collateral damage.

I’m catching up on this thread so I’m still pages behind. I’m happy/sad for Minerva and hope she is doing well. I was so excited to read about this new guy but then that quickly turned. I don’t know if my heart can take reading the rest.

Edit: ok I’m caught up...I look forward to reading more about Tacoma and wish you both well

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its been a busy few days and I haven't had time to post much. A few days ago, we were out hunting in one of my usual fields and a large adult female flew over. It landed on the same pole that I used to put Minerva on. Worried about Tacoma, I went over to shoo the wild bird away. Normally, wild retails are very leery and you can't get anywhere near them. I walked right under the pole this bird was sitting one and made all sorts of ruckus. I clapped my hands, yelled and even whacked the light pole with a stick. The bird didn't even look at me. Just like Minerva...
2019.JPG

This is very unusual. I took a step back and really looked at this bird. This bird was someone's falconry bird for sure. No wild bird is going to sit through all that. Not a chance. I've chased other wild birds away in the past, and you can't get within 50 yards of them. Minerva would have molted in the months after I released her, so the appearance could look a little different. I grabbed some meat and offered it up. The bird looked, but didn't want to come down. I didn't think it would, but I just thought I'd try it and see. The bird eventually flew across the street and landed in the same spot in the same tree that Minerva used to hunt from... It couldn't be, could it?
1:2019.JPG

I put Tacoma away in her hawk box and then my daughter and I walked over to the field under this tree and I again offered the baited glove. No interest. I pulled out the lure and had Ava run with it like we used to do with Minerva. The bird looked and was almost ready to go, but it didn't.

Now I have no way to verify it, but this really could be Minerva. The behavior, mannerisms, and perching choices all scream Minerva, but I'll grant that any bird that was used for falconry might behave this way, and could coincidentally perch in the same spots. When I was looking for a new bird to trap, I drove out to Minerva's area and she wasn't there. The distance from Minerva's area to these hunting fields is about 16 miles. It is certainly possible that Minerva could cover that distance.

I really can't say for sure, but it would not surprise me to find out that this was Minerva hanging out with some familiar people.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Its been a busy few days and I haven't had time to post much. A few days ago, we were out hunting in one of my usual fields and a large adult female flew over. It landed on the same pole that I used to put Minerva on. Worried about Tacoma, I went over to shoo the wild bird away. Normally, wild retails are very leery and you can't get anywhere near them. I walked right under the pole this bird was sitting one and made all sorts of ruckus. I clapped my hands, yelled and even whacked the light pole with a stick. The bird didn't even look at me. Just like Minerva...
View attachment 261679

This is very unusual. I took a step back and really looked at this bird. This bird was someone's falconry bird for sure. No wild bird is going to sit through all that. Not a chance. I've chased other wild birds away in the past, and you can't get within 50 yards of them. Minerva would have molted in the months after I released her, so the appearance could look a little different. I grabbed some meat and offered it up. The bird looked, but didn't want to come down. I didn't think it would, but I just thought I'd try it and see. The bird eventually flew across the street and landed in the same spot in the same tree that Minerva used to hunt from... It couldn't be, could it?
View attachment 261680

I put Tacoma away in her hawk box and then my daughter and I walked over to the field under this tree and I again offered the baited glove. No interest. I pulled out the lure and had Ava run with it like we used to do with Minerva. The bird looked and was almost ready to go, but it didn't.

Now I have no way to verify it, but this really could be Minerva. The behavior, mannerisms, and perching choices all scream Minerva, but I'll grant that any bird that was used for falconry might behave this way, and could coincidentally perch in the same spots. When I was looking for a new bird to trap, I drove out to Minerva's area and she wasn't there. The distance from Minerva's area to these hunting fields is about 16 miles. It is certainly possible that Minerva could cover that distance.

I really can't say for sure, but it would not surprise me to find out that this was Minerva hanging out with some familiar people.

Wow, that’s super cool!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I forgot to do updates. So much time has gone by...

We got our first rabbit back on December 31st. My daughter was with me that day. She was very happy to be there for the new bird's first catch. We've caught three thus far in the hunting season, but rain and high winds have been keeping us out of the field for the last few days. We'll be out hunting again ASAP.
IMG_7675.JPG

Two days after this picture, my bird taught me an important lesson... I went to get her and go out hunting again, and after food preparation, the first thing to do is weigh your bird. I fed her a little too much the day before, and the temperature that night was warmer than expected, and her weight was about 25-30 grams higher than I would have liked. I took her out to the hunting fields anyway, not wanting to miss out on a day that was available for hunting, and we didn't catch anything. She was a little lacking in the responsiveness department, but not bad. Rather than feed her in the field and reward her for a day of missing, I decided to drive her home and feed her the remainder of her food as a reward for exercise. They get a good work out by flying up to a tall pole at a steep angle, and its very important to keep them fit and strong. She flew up to her pole the first time, and was called back down for a quick reward.
IMG_7906.JPG
She flew right up the second time, but hesitated a bit before coming down for her reward. I thought to myself, "Okay, one more time and that will be it." I sent her up, and then offered a reward on the glove, and she didn't seem to want to come down and get her free food reward. I waited a minute and tried again. No luck. Between the high weight to begin with, all the food in the hunting field, and now the two tid bits at home, She wasn't inclined to play my games anymore. Okay, well, we had family plans for the day, so time to pull out the big guns and get her back. I pulled out the baited lure, which always works, and started running. She jumped, flew half way to it, and then peeled off and went the other way. She began circling, and she felt that familiar tingle of a good thermal that she hadn't felt for so long since I trapped her. Up, up and away she went into the late morning sky. She became a little speck in the blue distance and I could barely see her. She came down over near some mountains and I could see the local ravens were trying to drive her away. She had her transmitter on, so I wasn't going to "lose" her, but I couldn't get close enough to call her back. Eventually the resident pair of redtails caught sight of her and they were very angry to see that their territory had been so unceremoniously invaded.

All day long I'd track her, find her, try to call her to me, and watch her fly away again and again. She never strayed more than a mile from where we started. I was pretty sure I'd get her back toward dusk. They don't like to fly at night, so I'd be able to get close. Sure enough, the telemetry led me right to her again, and this time the lure was enough to get her back. Even though I was mad that she "ran away" I rewarded her tremendously on the lure. I tried to make something good come out of something bad. She ditched me and self hunted all day and came up empty. She caught nothing on her own and got harassed by the locals all day long. When she came back to her "hunting partner human", big food bonanza, no more harassment, and no more hunger.

The lesson, along with proper weight management seems to have worked. We soon caught two more rabbits, and lately she's been very responsive in the field. The winds will be dying down today, and we will be out hunting again tomorrow.
IMG_7801 copy.JPG

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

We got our first rabbit back on December 31st. My daughter was with me that day. She was very happy to be there for the new bird's first catch. We've caught three thus far in the hunting season, but rain and high winds have been keeping us out of the field for the last few days. We'll be out hunting again ASAP.
View attachment 263039

Two days after this picture, my bird taught me an important lesson... I went to get her and go out hunting again, and after food preparation, the first thing to do is weigh your bird. I fed her a little too much the day before, and the temperature that night was warmer than expected, and her weight was about 25-30 grams higher than I would have liked. I took her out to the hunting fields anyway, not wanting to miss out on a day that was available for hunting, and we didn't catch anything. She was a little lacking in the responsiveness department, but not bad. Rather than feed her in the field and reward her for a day of missing, I decided to drive her home and feed her the remainder of her food as a reward for exercise. They get a good work out by flying up to a tall pole at a steep angle, and its very important to keep them fit and strong. She flew up to her pole the first time, and was called back down for a quick reward.
View attachment 263041
She flew right up the second time, but hesitated a bit before coming down for her reward. I thought to myself, "Okay, one more time and that will be it." I sent her up, and then offered a reward on the glove, and she didn't seem to want to come down and get her free food reward. I waited a minute and tried again. No luck. Between the high weight to begin with, all the food in the hunting field, and now the two tid bits at home, She wasn't inclined to play my games anymore. Okay, well, we had family plans for the day, so time to pull out the big guns and get her back. I pulled out the baited lure, which always works, and started running. She jumped, flew half way to it, and then peeled off and went the other way. She began circling, and she felt that familiar tingle of a good thermal that she hadn't felt for so long since I trapped her. Up, up and away she went into the late morning sky. She became a little speck in the blue distance and I could barely see her. She came down over near some mountains and I could see the local ravens were trying to drive her away. She had her transmitter on, so I wasn't going to "lose" her, but I couldn't get close enough to call her back. Eventually the resident pair of redtails caught sight of her and they were very angry to see that their territory had been so unceremoniously invaded.

All day long I'd track her, find her, try to call her to me, and watch her fly away again and again. She never strayed more than a mile from where we started. I was pretty sure I'd get her back toward dusk. They don't like to fly at night, so I'd be able to get close. Sure enough, the telemetry led me right to her again, and this time the lure was enough to get her back. Even though I was mad that she "ran away" I rewarded her tremendously on the lure. I tried to make something good come out of something bad. She ditched me and self hunted all day and came up empty. She caught nothing on her own and got harassed by the locals all day long. When she came back to her "hunting partner human", big food bonanza, no more harassment, and no more hunger.

The lesson, along with proper weight management seems to have worked. We soon caught two more rabbits, and lately she's been very responsive in the field. The winds will be dying down today, and we will be out hunting again tomorrow.
View attachment 263043

I love reading your updates and at the same time I am learning valuable lessons. Please keep them coming.

wccmog10

Georgia

View attachment 263039

View attachment 263041

View attachment 263043

You are not the first falconer to learn that lesson, and you will not be the last either. I’m glad you got her back.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Another update: We went hunting this morning as promised, and I had the best day hunting with a hawk that I've ever had. We didn't catch anything today, but she had about 10 good slips, including one at a mature jack. These late season rabbits are still alive for a good reason. These are the fittest of the fit and the fastest of the fast.

The thing that set this day apart from all others is that me and the bird were a true team. We were working together. She was watching my every move in the field, waiting for her opportunity to strike, and she continually followed along, jumped ahead, or moved herself into optimal position depending on where I was kicking brush in the fields. She totally gets it! Watch the silly human and prey jumps up. At one point she decided to fly from the pole she was on behind me to another one that was ahead of me and in the direction I was going. I looked back and saw her coming and took the opportunity to try and reward her. I started running in the direction we were both heading with the hopes of stirring up a rabbit while she was on the wing and over me. IT WORKED! A rabbit jumped up at just the right moment and bolted right out in front of us. She immediately went for it, but it dove into some heavy cover in the nick of time and disappeared.

I've never had a bird do this. Minerva had her moments of greatness and I loved her, but Tacoma is genuinely using me as a hunting partner. I guess all those days of training and exercise during the inclement weather paid off. Or maybe it was the big reward for coming back to me at the end of her "excursion" day. I don't know what has done it, but "it" has been done and this bird is switched on and ready to work with her human. THIS is what falconry is all about, and after all these years, I've finally had a first taste of it. I want MORE!!! We're going out again tomorrow morning...

I was so busy enjoying each and every fantastic moment, that I didn't stop to take any pictures of today's activities. My apologies. Here is an older pic, just for fun:
IMG_7658.JPG

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Another update: We went hunting this morning as promised, and I had the best day hunting with a hawk that I've ever had. We didn't catch anything today, but she had about 10 good slips, including one at a mature jack. These late season rabbits are still alive for a good reason. These are the fittest of the fit and the fastest of the fast.

The thing that set this day apart from all others is that me and the bird were a true team. We were working together. She was watching my every move in the field, waiting for her opportunity to strike, and she continually followed along, jumped ahead, or moved herself into optimal position depending on where I was kicking brush in the fields. She totally gets it! Watch the silly human and prey jumps up. At one point she decided to fly from the pole she was on behind me to another one that was ahead of me and in the direction I was going. I looked back and saw her coming and took the opportunity to try and reward her. I started running in the direction we were both heading with the hopes of stirring up a rabbit while she was on the wing and over me. IT WORKED! A rabbit jumped up at just the right moment and bolted right out in front of us. She immediately went for it, but it dove into some heavy cover in the nick of time and disappeared.

I've never had a bird do this. Minerva had her moments of greatness and I loved her, but Tacoma is genuinely using me as a hunting partner. I guess all those days of training and exercise during the inclement weather paid off. Or maybe it was the big reward for coming back to me at the end of her "excursion" day. I don't know what has done it, but "it" has been done and this bird is switched on and ready to work with her human. THIS is what falconry is all about, and after all these years, I've finally had a first taste of it. I want MORE!!! We're going out again tomorrow morning...

I was so busy enjoying each and every fantastic moment, that I didn't stop to take any pictures of today's activities. My apologies. Here is an older pic, just for fun:
View attachment 263149
This is one of my favorite pictures of her.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I don't know why, but I don't like that. It's one thing to have a hawk catch a rabbit, it's normal food item, but a deer? Really?
I don't really either. I'm not even a Hunter. I just thought it was pretty crazy when I seen it. Delete it if you want.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I’m SO GLAD to read about your adventures with your new bird, Tom!!!!![emoji2][emoji173]️

Reactions: Tom