My Latest Endeavor...

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
@Tom, I must say- for an apprentice and someone with very little experience (keep in mind I just read this thread from the beginning- when I "started" you were new to falconry- now you have some years under your belt)- you have done a very good job of portraying the sport, and come to some of the same conclusions that I have over the years. The biggest is realizing that falconry is a lifestyle choice. If you have read my few posts on here, by now you know we have 6 birds of prey at home (we also have 30ish herps). Our lives revolve around these guys all year long. If your are up for it- I do have a recommendation for your future seasons. A cast of Harris hawks has been amazing. My wife and I have had them for two seasons. When I started falconry back in 2008 I never thought I would become a Harris hawker. After two seasons with these birds I regret not doing it sooner. You (and everyone reading this thread) have come to witness the awesomeness that is watching a hawk hunt. So now imagine doing it with more than one bird at the same time. Watching these two birds hunt together has been some of the most fun I have had in falconry. Don't get me wrong- any bird you get you will have tons of fun, but this HH cast has been so cool. Ill have to find some photos and start a new thread.

-Wade

View attachment 244558
This is Hiccup, he is apparently very interested in what ever my wife is doing.

View attachment 244559
This is Toothless.
They are both very beautiful birds.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom, I must say- for an apprentice and someone with very little experience (keep in mind I just read this thread from the beginning- when I "started" you were new to falconry- now you have some years under your belt)- you have done a very good job of portraying the sport, and come to some of the same conclusions that I have over the years. The biggest is realizing that falconry is a lifestyle choice. If you have read my few posts on here, by now you know we have 6 birds of prey at home (we also have 30ish herps). Our lives revolve around these guys all year long. If your are up for it- I do have a recommendation for your future seasons. A cast of Harris hawks has been amazing. My wife and I have had them for two seasons. When I started falconry back in 2008 I never thought I would become a Harris hawker. After two seasons with these birds I regret not doing it sooner. You (and everyone reading this thread) have come to witness the awesomeness that is watching a hawk hunt. So now imagine doing it with more than one bird at the same time. Watching these two birds hunt together has been some of the most fun I have had in falconry. Don't get me wrong- any bird you get you will have tons of fun, but this HH cast has been so cool. Ill have to find some photos and start a new thread.

I'm new to "falconry", but I've been flying other types of birds for years. There was, and still is, a lot to learn, but lucky for me, I wasn't starting completely from scratch.

A cast of Harris's hawks is definitely in my future, but I want to learn more before I take on that 30+ year commitment. I don't want to make any of the common beginner mistakes and create problems with a CB bird that can't be released. I intend to rescue a red tail each season for the next couple of years, and I'll tag along with the guys hunting with Harris's and Goshawks. Bob A. lives near me and has offered to let me come along. I don't know how it could get any better than that! That is also where I'll buy my birds when the time comes. Since I'm doing it alone, I also have to figure out if I want to start one bird at a time, or if I should start them both together. I want them to be social and be able to gang hunt at meets or with friends who also have them, so I've got some details to figure out before I jump in.

Great posts Wade. Thanks for chiming in. I agree a phone conversation seems inevitable.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
CHAPTER 3: Chicken

It used to be that you had to wait until October 1st to trap. Now we can trap earlier if we want to. It takes about three to four weeks to get a bird ready to hunt when starting from scratch with a passage red tail. Since hunting season for cottontails starts on October 1st, NOW is the time to catch a new bird and get it started.

With that in mind, my little girl and I started early this morning. At our third prospective spot we found a good candidate. We put our trap down under a dark chested youngster and then drove off in the distance to watch and wait. I had seen a brilliant white chested hawk stoop at prey near this area on Thursday, and that is the one I was looking for, but I didn't see him this morning. Our targeted bird came down and landed near the trap after about five minutes, but it didn't engage. After about a minute, it decided to fly off and go land on a distant pole. I pulled out the spotting scope to get a better look at him and see what he was doing over there. I figured we could wait a while and maybe he'd decide to come back. As I was setting up the scope at out targeted bird in the distance, I noticed movement in the foreground down near the trap which was about a quarter mile away. I tipped the scope down and started snapping pics. It was the white chested one from a few days ago swooping down to the trap! These two must be clutch mates. Two passage birds in the same area? He landed about 5 feet away from the trap and considered his options for a minute. Then, while we watched through the spotting scope, he waddled over like a chicken and hopped onto the trap.
IMG_6677 copy 2.JPG

IMG_6678 copy.JPG

After less than a minute, I could see he was hooked up and we shot over there as quickly as we could. I jumped out and grabbed him with no drama. Unhooked him from the trap and gave a quick cursory exam. All looked good. Typical feather mite damage and sheep keds, but all good over all. Good meat on the keel, empty crop, clean clear eyes, minor scuffs on the feet, all flight feathers in great shape, beak, mouth and tongue all in good shape… A KEEPER!

Here is that ever-more-familiar fire breathing look:
IMG_6686 copy.JPG

As I was taught, we hooded him and gently wrapped him up in a towel for the ride home. Ever wonder how birds breathe? And reptiles too? This shot just before hooding shows the opening to the trachea on the back of the tongue:
IMG_6687.JPG
That hole is where the air goes in and out and everything behind it is throat for swallowing food.

IMG_6692 copy.JPG

We got home and attached the pre-made bracelets and stylish new black grommets that I picked up, inserted jesses, attached a leash, dusted on some mite powder, and then I proceeded to try to get him to simply stand on the fist for a minute. This is not always easy and it can take some time for them to be willing to learn it or even try it. Nope. Two hours after capture, everyone, meet "Chicken" contentedly sitting on a gloved hand:
IMG_6693 copy.JPG

I didn't think he'd go for it, but I offered some water in a syringe and he drank like a pro! Weight was 992 which definitely confirms I've got a little male. After a rough morning for this little guy, I retired him to his hawk box for some peace and quiet for a little while.
IMG_6698.JPG

I'm very excited about this season. I've been talking to all the experienced falconers I can find, and I think I've picked up a few tips to improve upon what I did with Minerva previously. I'm trying out some new tips to make things even more positive for the new guy and his associations with me and our hunting dog. I will also get to experience the personality differences between a big giant female and a little male. And an early season bird verses a late season bird.

Oh yeah… The dog... I've decided to retire Sophie from hunting. She's 10 years old now and I don't want to push her past the point of what she can handle. Meet Charlie:
Charlie 6-11-18.JPG
He's very young, but if he's into rabbits, it will give me a good excuse to spend a lot of time with him and get him all trained up.

As usual, questions and conversation welcome!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
CHAPTER 3: Chicken

It used to be that you had to wait until October 1st to trap. Now we can trap earlier if we want to. It takes about three to four weeks to get a bird ready to hunt when starting from scratch with a passage red tail. Since hunting season for cottontails starts on October 1st, NOW is the time to catch a new bird and get it started.

With that in mind, my little girl and I started early this morning. At our third prospective spot we found a good candidate. We put our trap down under a dark chested youngster and then drove off in the distance to watch and wait. I had seen a brilliant white chested hawk stoop at prey near this area on Thursday, and that is the one I was looking for, but I didn't see him this morning. Our targeted bird came down and landed near the trap after about five minutes, but it didn't engage. After about a minute, it decided to fly off and go land on a distant pole. I pulled out the spotting scope to get a better look at him and see what he was doing over there. I figured we could wait a while and maybe he'd decide to come back. As I was setting up the scope at out targeted bird in the distance, I noticed movement in the foreground down near the trap which was about a quarter mile away. I tipped the scope down and started snapping pics. It was the white chested one from a few days ago swooping down to the trap! These two must be clutch mates. Two passage birds in the same area? He landed about 5 feet away from the trap and considered his options for a minute. Then, while we watched through the spotting scope, he waddled over like a chicken and hopped onto the trap.
View attachment 250164

View attachment 250165

After less than a minute, I could see he was hooked up and we shot over there as quickly as we could. I jumped out and grabbed him with no drama. Unhooked him from the trap and gave a quick cursory exam. All looked good. Typical feather mite damage and sheep keds, but all good over all. Good meat on the keel, empty crop, clean clear eyes, minor scuffs on the feet, all flight feathers in great shape, beak, mouth and tongue all in good shape… A KEEPER!

Here is that ever-more-familiar fire breathing look:
View attachment 250166

As I was taught, we hooded him and gently wrapped him up in a towel for the ride home. Ever wonder how birds breathe? And reptiles too? This shot just before hooding shows the opening to the trachea on the back of the tongue:
View attachment 250167
That hole is where the air goes in and out and everything behind it is throat for swallowing food.

View attachment 250168

We got home and attached the pre-made bracelets and stylish new black grommets that I picked up, inserted jesses, attached a leash, dusted on some mite powder, and then I proceeded to try to get him to simply stand on the fist for a minute. This is not always easy and it can take some time for them to be willing to learn it or even try it. Nope. Two hours after capture, everyone, meet "Chicken" contentedly sitting on a gloved hand:
View attachment 250169

I didn't think he'd go for it, but I offered some water in a syringe and he drank like a pro! Weight was 992 which definitely confirms I've got a little male. After a rough morning for this little guy, I retired him to his hawk box for some peace and quiet for a little while.
View attachment 250170

I'm very excited about this season. I've been talking to all the experienced falconers I can find, and I think I've picked up a few tips to improve upon what I did with Minerva previously. I'm trying out some new tips to make things even more positive for the new guy and his associations with me and our hunting dog. I will also get to experience the personality differences between a big giant female and a little male. And an early season bird verses a late season bird.

Oh yeah… The dog... I've decided to retire Sophie from hunting. She's 10 years old now and I don't want to push her past the point of what she can handle. Meet Charlie:
View attachment 250171
He's very young, but if he's into rabbits, it will give me a good excuse to spend a lot of time with him and get him all trained up.

As usual, questions and conversation welcome!

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [emoji2][emoji1][emoji2][emoji1]
I loveLoveLOVE your falconry posts, Tom!!!!!!!! [emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji2]

I think his name is hilarious!!
Who named him: you or your daughter?[emoji2][emoji2][emoji2][emoji2][emoji173]️

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Hmm...can someone explain me what's going on here? Tom catches birds and they help him for hunting??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hmm...can someone explain me what's going on here? Tom catches birds and they help him for hunting??
The best explanation is the first few pages of this thread. :)

Falconry. Basically I'm rescuing young red tail hawks from a slow painful death and making them into SUPER birds for re-release.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
The best explanation is the first few pages of this thread. :)

Falconry. Basically I'm rescuing young red tail hawks from a slow painful death and making them into SUPER birds for re-release.
Ok I already read quite a bit but still don't get it. Why would they die from a painfull death? So you don't hunt with them at your side?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok I already read quite a bit but still don't get it. Why would they die from a painfull death? So you don't hunt with them at your side?
Short version is that about 5 out of 100 live to see their first birthday according to FWS studies. The 5 that survive barely make it and they are full of parasites and diseases. Life in the wild is hard. My last one had 3 types of ecto-parasites 2 types internal worms and coccidia. My avian vet said the coccidia would have probably killed her if I hadn't captured her.

When they get caught by a falconer we cure their diseases, get rid of all the parasites, and we give them way more hunting opportunities than a wild one could ever get. When they fail to catch game, the wild one goes hungry while the falconry bird still get the correct amount of nutritious food.

Red tails are slow flyers and they need gravity to help them accelerate up to speed to catch prey. The typical way to hunt with a red tail is to send them up to a perch and flush rabbit under them. As the falconer walks, the bird should follow along moving from perch to perch to be in a good position if game jumps up near the falconer. A more advanced hunting technique is to get the bird "waiting on". Essentially this means they soar above you in a big circle and they hunt from the sky instead of a perch. Their stooping speed when hunting from a soar rivals that of a falcon. Its fast.

So yes, we hunt, but no she's not really by my side.

After a hunting season or two, we release the bird back to where we caught it free of diseases, well hydrated, well fed, parasite free, hunting skills honed, and in excellent condition.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice pics, specially of the inside of mouth, interesting.
Glad you got the one you wanted. Love the name.
Can't wait for more of Chickens story. Lots of pics too.

wccmog10

Georgia
Way to go Tom! A new bird is always a ton of fun. It sounds like you caught this one your first morning out- that’s amazing. I’ve never managed to do that. I’m looking forward to hearing how training progresses and your season shapes up. Keep us all updated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Way to go Tom! A new bird is always a ton of fun. It sounds like you caught this one your first morning out- that’s amazing. I’ve never managed to do that. I’m looking forward to hearing how training progresses and your season shapes up. Keep us all updated!
Not just first morning, first trap set. Certainly not the norm for me either! We were driving home, bird in hand, at 8am! That was a first for me.

wccmog10

Georgia
Since I'm doing it alone, I also have to figure out if I want to start one bird at a time, or if I should start them both together. I want them to be social and be able to gang hunt at meets or with friends who also have them, so I've got some details to figure out before I jump in.

If you want to hunt a cast- best thing to do is get 2 birds at once. The first year is the most important for socializing and learning to hunt in a team. Sometimes if they don’t get to hunt in a group the first year they never figure it out. If there are harris hawkers near you, then you could try and hunt your bird with theirs- and only get a single bird. If it were me- I would just jump in and get two right off the bat (when the time comes). You say you are alone, but I see your daughter there participating. So you will have an extra set of eyes. Which is good to have when you first start with more than one bird up in the air. It also sounds like you would be hunting rabbits almost exclusively- from what I have heard that is a bit easier with a cast of harris hawks because the size of the prey. Here in GA we hunt squirrels- so there isn’t as much square footage for the birds to share wine they are both on the kill at the same time. Which is a situation where fights *can* break out. but once the birds learn the game they usually get along pretty good. I’ve had it where the female has the squirrel and the male just stands next to her hoping he earned a treat also. And even if he doesn’t have his feet on the kill- as long as he helped- he still gets his treat. Long story short- once there is a routine in place, a single falconer can hunt several harris hawks at once, so don’t let it scare you. To me the hardest and most important part is the trade off. I don’t want the two birds to fight over the same small piece of meet. And if either one of them thinks the other has a piece of food- that’s when they could fight.