My indoor RFT enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyxigirl

5 Year Member
It measures about 5ft by 4ft, has a ceramic heat bulb, halogen flood bulb, florescent UVB light. It has a plexiglass front, and the lid is a sheet of coroplast (corrugated plastic sheet) with a vent in the top for air circulation. The humidity in there is 90% all the time. I recently moved my smaller tortoise into the enclosure with my older female and they have been off to a rocky start with each other so for now there is temporarily a board dividing the enclosure in half until I know if they are going to get along or not. If not, I am trying to brain storm on how I can turn the enclosure into a 2 level, and have one tortoise on the bottom floor and one on the top floor, it seems difficult though.. I might end up selling this one and building a new 2 level enclosure, takes up less floor space that way, I am running out of room in my house!

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 172

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Nice enclosure, but with the heat bulb and halogen flood bulb, I was wondering what are the hot, med, and cool temps in the enclosure? Also, couldn't constant 90% humidity cause RI in some torts? The air return can help stabilize the temps in the enclosure only if there is enough air getting in the enclosure. Is there? Please weight in someone.

pyxigirl

5 Year Member
Well, I do let the humidity drop daily when I have the lid off while I clean out the pen and prepare food, change water etc. Also they have been spending afternoons outdoors all summer and currently it is still warm enough that they are spending 4-5 hours outside during the day. The enclosure is basically warm and damp with dry areas in the hides. I do keep the lid on top cracked a bit at the back so that they have enough air flow. The temperature is about 80°F in the whole enclosure, and 90°F in the basking areas. They have not had any issues, no shell rot or noisy breathing or anything. Seems to be working fine for them so I'm happy with things the way they are right now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.