My indoor enclosure

Kim&Tim

Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
This is my indoor enclosure, it's 2,6 x 6,7 ft. Timmie also has an outdoor enclosure of 6x6 ft.

He likes to climb and the majority of the perimeter is free, so he can either climb or take the easy route. He always sleeps in the cave. All the plants have been alive since January, so I guess they're happy too? I use a digital probe thermometer to check the temp/humidity.

IMG_20200523_103633.jpg
IMG_20200523_103843.jpg

IMG_20200523_102650.jpg
IMG_20200523_102631.jpg
IMG_20200523_103956.jpg
IMG_20200523_102708.jpg
IMG_20200523_103923.jpg

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
That's awesome. Jobs well done. Is this a Russian tort?

DebbiLynn

Austin, Texas
This is my indoor enclosure, it's 2,6 x 6,7 ft. Timmie also has an outdoor enclosure of 6x6 ft.

He likes to climb and the majority of the perimeter is free, so he can either climb or take the easy route. He always sleeps in the cave. All the plants have been alive since January, so I guess they're happy too? I use a digital probe thermometer to check the temp/humidity.

View attachment 295380
View attachment 295381

View attachment 295382
View attachment 295383
View attachment 295384
View attachment 295385
View attachment 295386
Wow! The enclosure is amazing. He’s living in paradise:)

IngaZ

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

View attachment 295380
View attachment 295381

View attachment 295382
View attachment 295383
View attachment 295384
View attachment 295385
View attachment 295386

IngaZ

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
That is great! My tortoise seems so miserable, He is so restless, always trying to climb out of the enclosure. I don't have construction skills to create something like yours. Do you know if there are plans available for large enclosures like yours? I want my gut to be happy. Now that I'm stuck working at home I hear how he is scratching at the sides trying to get out, for hours on end. Of course I let him run around my apt, but then he is away from his heat source.

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
That is great! My tortoise seems so miserable, He is so restless, always trying to climb out of the enclosure. I don't have construction skills to create something like yours. Do you know if there are plans available for large enclosures like yours? I want my gut to be happy. Now that I'm stuck working at home I hear how he is scratching at the sides trying to get out, for hours on end. Of course I let him run around my apt, but then he is away from his heat source.

You don't have to be a builder, just a bit creative. The wood is an old unpainted bookcase, I lined it with leftover good quality venyl flooring from a previous house. I brought a piece when I moved, because I thought it could be useful one day. I cut the vinyl to size (it's 1 piece) and made sure the sides were at least 7 inches high. Then I used special very strong aquarium tape to attach it. This way it's completely waterproof. And that's it basically! So it was actually sort of free ? you can do that! IMG_20200523_102813.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi!

There can be several reasons why a tort tries to get out, but the most common is that he needs more space.

Start a new thread in this forum, and maybe we can help you to figure it out.