My indian star has developed some blackness around mouth

Casefresh

Location (City and/or State)
Calgary
Hi there,

My indian star nameD tank has been okay recently, trying to eat and moving around the enclosure.

He has developed something around his mouth, looks black. I have taken some pics attached.

He does his best at eating, but I’m not sure if he is getting anything to actually go down much. He seems in good spirits otherwise and no other health issues other than his weight doesn’t go up or down.

any advice is appreciated.40B27B29-DBAD-41E6-82F4-5D315937EF9D.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh no. The dreaded "black mouth disease"... {Cue the dramatic music} Dun dun dun...

This happens when they eat their own poo, and also from food staining the mouth. Its normal. It will fade away in time, and come and go, depending on what the tortoise is eating.

On a more serious note, are you keeping that baby HOT? Stars like it hot. Even with ambient temps in the low 90s, they still bask under their heat lamps for me. Daily soaks and a humid enclosure will ensure good hydration with all the heat.

Reactions: Ink

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's from what he's been eating. Vegetable juice oxidizes and turns black on the skin, and sometimes they eat their poop and it shows as black around the mouth.

Casefresh

Calgary
Oh no. The dreaded "black mouth disease"... {Cue the dramatic music} Dun dun dun...

This happens when they eat their own poo, and also from food staining the mouth. Its normal. It will fade away in time, and come and go, depending on what the tortoise is eating.

On a more serious note, are you keeping that baby HOT? Stars like it hot. Even with ambient temps in the low 90s, they still bask under their heat lamps for me. Daily soaks and a humid enclosure will ensure good hydration with all the heat.
Thanks he eats Mazuri and spring mix. Doesn’t eat poop. I was curious if he had a mouth problem as he seems to struggle a bit getting food down. I’ve had him for 2 years in August and he really only gained a few grams and still looks like a baby. He is around 30 grams and was 25 grams when I got him. He poops every few days and seems okay otherwise.
temp wise it’s 97 f under the ceramic bulb.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks he eats Mazuri and spring mix. Doesn’t eat poop. I was curious if he had a mouth problem as he seems to struggle a bit getting food down. I’ve had him for 2 years in August and he really only gained a few grams and still looks like a baby. He is around 30 grams and was 25 grams when I got him. He poops every few days and seems okay otherwise.
temp wise it’s 97 f under the ceramic bulb.
What is the ambient temp, and over night low?

Most people start them too dry. We talk about the "Dry Season" in India. The dry season typically features 60-80% humidity. The wet season has 80-100%.

When babies aren't soaked daily and kept on dry substrate with an open top, many don't survive. The ones that do, grow very slowly. You can correct the situation with hot humid monsoon conditions and lots of hydration.

Casefresh

Calgary
What is the ambient temp, and over night low?

Most people start them too dry. We talk about the "Dry Season" in India. The dry season typically features 60-80% humidity. The wet season has 80-100%.

When babies aren't soaked daily and kept on dry substrate with an open top, many don't survive. The ones that do, grow very slowly. You can correct the situation with hot humid monsoon conditions and lots of hydration.
Thanks overnight around 84. How can I get the humidity up with what you say below (open top dry substrate) below? I’m all for cranking the humidity, it’s just that it drys up so quickly in the enclosure with ceramic heat lamp.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks overnight around 84. How can I get the humidity up with what you say below (open top dry substrate) below? I’m all for cranking the humidity, it’s just that it drys up so quickly in the enclosure with ceramic heat lamp.
A closed chamber is the only way to go. Its near impossible to do it any other way.

Like these: