My Horsefield just did something really cute, but I don’t want to anthropomorphise!

Ubercat

Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield
I’ve had my tortoise a couple of weeks, and he’s setting in OK now. Today I put my hand down onto his basking rock and he climbed on. I would have assumed he was going to try either to fight me or mate! But he didn’t, he just sat down, and well... nestled!
I know the previous owners had him running around the house most of the time, so I wondered if he had been trained to come to the hand to be let out. Is that possible, or likely?
I know very little about tortoise behaviour, so I’d really appreciate any insights :)

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
I’ve had my tortoise a couple of weeks, and he’s setting in OK now. Today I put my hand down onto his basking rock and he climbed on. I would have assumed he was going to try either to fight me or mate! But he didn’t, he just sat down, and well... nestled!
I know the previous owners had him running around the house most of the time, so I wondered if he had been trained to come to the hand to be let out. Is that possible, or likely?
I know very little about tortoise behaviour, so I’d really appreciate any insights :)

In my opinion, I think your hand was just in the way. Somewhat similar to how cats are always sitting in their owner's office chairs and lap tops. They're not necessarily drawn towards you because they want you. Instead the cat is after the warmth these objects bring, just as how tortoise will always go back to the basking spot because they require that heat.

And no. Tortoises should not be placed on the floor to wander around the house. In my experience when people do that, the tortoise's first priority is to find a dark spot to hide in because they don't like being out in the open in an environment they aren't used to. Wood floors aren't good for their legs nor is carpet because of they can accidentally eat it. It's also much colder on the floor and pretty much goes on. It's all added stress that the tortoise doesn't frankly doesn't need more of.

Having an indoor and outdoor enclosure will be plenty for your tortoise.