My hermans keeps escaping his tank

JacquieS

Hi

I have a 5ft vivarium for my male hermans who is 13 this year. Over the last couple of months he's started working the door open of the tank and falling out. We try and let him out for a wander about as much as possible (busy family) but I'm worried he will get hurt and I've no idea how he's managing the glass.

Any tips?

JacquieS

He's got a log, some stones, his dishes abd a bed box in there. We live in Scotland so he wouldn't get out Mich but I am looking into a rabbit/guinea pig run and will provide somewhere in there for him to hide in

JacquieS

Yeah a proper outside run rather than a cage as he knows how to get under the fence and there are seagulls on the roof

JacquieS

Haha well it doesn't rain as often as people think and my garden is currently 24degrees. Think Leo (I didn't name him) is off sleeping in my kitchen

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Well, welcome. There are actually a couple of Scottish members here.
maybe you guys could trade helpful tips.
Is that a vintage Formula race car in your avatar?

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Usually I find if they can see out or see over the enclosure, they will constantly try to find a way out. (Tink is a fellow escape artist). Have you tried blacking out the walls (if they are see through) or making them higher? In tinks outdoor enclosure I have hammered wooden fencing (the small type you get in pound shop in a roll, with the pointed bottoms, on a wetter day so the ground is soft enough to get them about half a foot to a foot underground) so he cannot dig out (although he's currently working on it in one corner ). And I cover the top with chicken mesh, mainly in case of cats or dogs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What to do? Fix the door so he can't get out.

Show us a pic of the door and enclosure and we can offer more specific tips on easy ways to fix it.

Your tortoise should not be roaming loose in the house and he shouldn't be sleeping on the cold floor of your kitchen. Many tortoises are injured or killed this way. Tortoises need to be in properly designed and regulated tortoise enclosures either inside or out.

It is very unlikely that seagulls will bother a 13 year old hermanns tortoise... unless your seagulls behave completely differently than ours do.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I'd be more worried about cats rather than seagulls, there a lot of cats round by me. Also I have a jack Russell who I'd never ever trust with my tort so I keep all enclosures very predator proof