My Greek tortoise has runny nose and mouth issues :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathantb

5 Year Member
I have a Greek tortoise and i've had him for about over a month now and i've read everything about his breed and care taking. I have recently noticed that he has a runny nose,(he blows snot bubbles) and i heard it might be a nasal infection. He is very active and clumsy. As in he tries to climb the glass and ends up falling over really hard. Thats when i noticed that around his mouth is ths rustic looking stuff on the side of his upper jaw. Very concered for his health and any help would be much appreciated.

CDNPyxis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
It could be allergies, but the runny nose could be micoplasma or other infection, unfortunately fairly common. Keep him eating and make sure he can get his body temperature up. The jaw thing is hard without pictures, could be food? So long as he looks good, keep watching him. If he is constantly climbing the glass, you may want to try and change the enclosure a bit as it may mean he is not too happy or too cramped.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Is the snot discollard? More details please: substrait, diet, temperatures, lighting, age?

You'll find a lot of opinions about glass or no glass here. Personally, I think its terrible for them. He's exhibiting a lot of stress by crawling up the glass and doing it over and over. He's not happy about being able to see out but not get out. A tortoise table would be much better for him.

A picture of the jaw would be very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.