my greek hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

nannyfan1

5 Year Member
Hi everybody :). Just wanted to get some advice on my new little guy. I've only had my little guy for 2 days now and basically I'd like to give a rundown of my routine and how I'm taking care of him to make sure I'm not missing something or need to change something. Just want the best care I can give him. We start our day with a warm soak and some fresh breakfast. The breeder I got him from suggested spring mix only for the first couple months. So I get him some spring mix and I'm using the repashy super veggie dust. He has been eating a little bit a few times a day so I try to change out the old lettuce and make sure he always has some fresh to eat. I have his basking spot at about 100 the surrounding areas on the hot side are about 90 to 95. On my cool side I have it at about 78 to 85. I mist his enclouse once a day. I also give him another soak before bed. He has 2 hides but prefers to burrow himself underneath his food bowl. At night I was using a che but it was getting to hot. The enclose without any added heat source is at 76 at night. Am I doing everything correct something I need to add something I need to change? Any advice would be amazing and super helpful. I know hatchlings require extra care and closer attention and want what's best for him. Thank you :) sorry its so long

This is rango.

Attachments

• 20130419_194144.jpg
    20130419_194144.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 139
  • 20130418_143748.jpg
    20130418_143748.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 125

Tech13

5 Year Member
Rango is adorable, congrats on your new little one! I have a 3-7 mos old Greek, but I'm new at this so I'll let the experts give you their opinions... They really know their stuff

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Sounds mostly good, you don't really need to soak him two times a day. there's also nothing wrong with feeding spring mix longer than a couple months, as long as he gets a varied diet. I'm not an expert, but I do have agrees an that's my opinion :p :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very cute tort. Love the color. Soaking a couple times a day is fine if you want to or if you never really see him drink or soak on his own. I would also add more variety then just spring mix to his diet.

nannyfan1

5 Year Member
Okay so I don't need to soak twice? But it doesn't hurt does it? He eats really well he will eat a little here ans there throughout the day and has no problem eating even with people watching he just company away. But I've never seen him drink any water so I just wanted to be sure he is getting hydrated. Also I am using a storage tub for his enclosure and he. Ant see out but he can see himself in the reflection of it and he scratches AT it and claws should I change to a different one? Thanks so much for the help I love my little guy already :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Woo hoo, so cute. Soaking is the best. I must admit my two Greeks are older than your little one, but when I got them they were literally "shell shocked' from their journey from wild to broker to store to me. I soaked them twice a day, following what the wonderful experienced keepers recommended here, because mine would not eat, were so shy and I was really afraid that I was inexperienced enough with Greek tortoises to kill them somehow (impulsive PetSmart buy). So my point is that for added insurance, it can't hurt, especially since babies need heat and heat can also dehydrate them fast. Also, for pooping purposes, if they poop in their soak, then your enclosure stays cleaner. My two now enjoy their soaks (they know they get to eat afterwards) and are very friendly, come when they see me. So different than when I first got them. Tortoise spa ... ahhhhhh! ; )

nannyfan1

5 Year Member
Bathtime for rango cute little guy :)

Attachments

• 20130420_195933.jpg
    20130420_195933.jpg
    974.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20130420_195938.jpg
    20130420_195938.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 68

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
I'm far from considering myself an expert, but I've had my Greek for over a year now. I feed a mix of collard, mustard, turnip and dandelion greens. Being home during the day I've been able to get them outside for at least an hour everyday. I put no chemicals in my backyard and they graze on the weeds. I keep a planter dish with water and soak about every other day now. Mine chews on a cuttlebone for calcium. I bought some zoomed grassland tortoise food and pulverized it in the food processor. I sprinkle this on his food to give more variety. In my enclosure I use cypress mulch and a 100W UVB on a timer. Hope this helps. I remember when mine was that size.

Status
Not open for further replies.