My Food Train (of thought)

polDurna

Location (City and/or State)
New Castle, PA.
Greetings All!

This will probably be a little rambling, and hit a few points out of order.... It is not the thought of a business, or charity, but timing and need.

I have seen a few post now where we are all enjoying (or Not) more time home with our little darlings. Many of us with a drop in cash flow. A good portion of us still in weather too cold to let our darling ones outside to graze, or even the grazing having available growth... This is not easy, it is just not. I have currently sheltering at home - 2 RF tortoise, 2 RE Sliders, 5 Cats, 1 Leopard Gecko/feeder crickets, 3 school age girls, and 3 adults....

Generally, our house hold income is pretty level from month to month, but we have had occasions where the supply of food has had issues. First it was the food pellets were not sufficient nutrition, gotta supplement with "hooman" food, then find the right weeds.... then buy/harvest more than can be consumed before it goes bad.... or the Food maker (me) was out of town for significant periods that "bit" into the menu for both pets and people.... Then we have several human specialty diets in a very numerous household (GF, Keto, Apple & Tomato allergies...6-9ppl) - I cook/bake from whole ingredients as a result. I also: can, dehydrate, jelly, and home grow/harvest.

That all contributes to my having more kitchen equipment than just about anyone else I know... a "wet" fridge/freezer & a "dry" fridge/freezer, and a hoard of stuffs pre-made for when I am not available. Last fall I put up (dried & frozen) several squash, a few lbs of carrots, melons, apples(pet food only), zucchini, weeds and I forget whatever else. Sweet peppers, mangoes, and other left over raw veggies/fruit that I get in bulk to cook/bake with get the same treatment. Now, none of my equipment gets commercially sanitized regularly(just washed), I use ziplock bags (since my vacuum packer died, but it stores it ok.), and hand written labels; but it all feeds the torts, turtles, crickets...

I supplement the above dried food with:
Tortoises:
Mazori, TortoiseSupply.com tortoise hay, NatureZone tortoise "salad dressing"( with calcium, etc.), dried bugs, and several of the Zilla Reptile Food Munchies (ya know - Diversity)
Turtles:
ZooMed natural aquatic Maintenance & Gourmet foods, ReptoMin Floating sticks, Zilla reptile shrimp
Crickets:
Tetra tropical flakes, Cricket water jelly
Rarely now have we had the pet food shortages/confusion of 8 yrs ago. That being said....

I have a bit more than I need for the next few months;
Am I the only one?
Can we organize and help those beyond the frost line?