My Fish

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I snapped some cell pics of some of my fish the other day. Thought I'd share. These are just some run-o-the-mill South American cichlids. Nothing fancy. I kept these when I was a kid and wanted to re-live it again. I've had these guys for about 3 years now. There are convicts, Jack Dempsys, Salvinis, pink tailed chalceus, and leporinus in this tank.

IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG
IMG_1182.JPG
IMG_1184.JPG
IMG_1185.JPG

Rue

Canada
Nice fish. I haven't kept cichlids, but have had various others over the years, including saltwater...

I am down to two smaller tanks. My little 25g community tank is doing fine and I am currently trying to revitalize my 55g goldfish tank. I love goldfish, but can't quite figure out why my tank isn't doing as well as it should be doing.

One day I'll figure it out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What size tank are they in? Nice colors. My second favorite type fish, cichlids, after my first love, marine fish.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size tank are they in? Nice colors. My second favorite type fish, cichlids, after my first love, marine fish.

135. Its in my living room in the entry way. When we open the front door, the tank is the first thing people see.

I kept marine fish for a lot of years. They require a lot more maintenance and time. The margin of error is also a lot smaller. My current tank is easy. I do water changes when I get around to it. The fish eat my surplus roaches. My house temp is so stable that I don't even heat this tank. It stays 75-78 year round.

Sometimes I miss my triggers, angels, groupers, morays, sharks, and puffers, but then I remember all the work and all the mess. I just have too much work to do as it is right now. I might do salt water again after I retire because I sure loved the fish.

surfergirl

awesome... beautiful fish! I had a reef tank for years ended up taking it down and selling every thing I had. I am in love with the ocean. Having a saltwater tank was like having a little piece of the ocean in my living room. :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Nice looking fish.;);)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I love Africans. They are always interesting to watch and as colorful as some saltwater fishes. Scrappy, but never really injuring one another and always redecorating the tank.:)
How many generations do you have?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love Africans. They are always interesting to watch and as colorful as some saltwater fishes. Scrappy, but never really injuring one another and always redecorating the tank.:)
How many generations do you have?

I kept Africans for years in this tank. All Tanganyikans. I had 3 generations going at one point. L. brichardi and several Julidochromis species.

This current batch of South Americans just eat each others babies. I'm not interested in breeding and raising fry right now. A few convicts have made it. No surprise there… I like these guy because they are big and love to eat my surplus roaches.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm not really a fish person, but I love that grumpy looking guy with the blue markings! He looks pretty big!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Many years ago I had a 50 gallon aquarium and among other fish, a pair of convicts. (I think it was convicts. Very aggressive fish) In that aquarium I had an open-mouth frog ashtray similar to this one I found on the 'net:

il_570xN.521677827_lmfp.jpg

The convicts decided this was a good place to raise babies, and they took it over. Raising fish babies was such an interesting experience. I could just sit in front of that aquarium for hours. The female rearranged all the gravel from around the frog to the other side of the tank. She also kept all the other fish on the other side of the tank. The babies spent a lot of time inside the frog, but she took them into her mouth occasionally too. It was so interesting to watch.

Another interesting baby experience we had with that tank was a crawdad I brought home from fishing one day. I was fishing with sardine bait for catfish and brought in a crawdad. I don't know if she had eggs or babies, but when we put her into the tank we eventually saw many babies clustered on her underside. The female eventually died (not the right environment for a crawdad) but the babies lived for quite some time.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I got rid of my 50 gallon aquarium to make room for my tortoise :) but I miss it. I've been toying with the idea of getting a smaller aquarium and starting up again. The problem is I need to get relatively large fish so I can actually see them. 2 inches at least. What size tank do you need for the cichlids?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I got rid of my 50 gallon aquarium to make room for my tortoise :) but I miss it. I've been toying with the idea of getting a smaller aquarium and starting up again. The problem is I need to get relatively large fish so I can actually see them. 2 inches at least. What size tank do you need for the cichlids?

Like tortoises, the bigger the better. A 100 gallon is much more stable and gives you more room for error and more resistance to temperature change than a 50 gallon.

You could do a really nice african cichlid set up in a 40 gallon tank. You could have an assortment of colorful pseudotropheus. Those typically get around 3-4 inches and because of their bright colors they are often mistaken for salt water fish. They are aggressive but will sort out territories amongst the rocks.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Like tortoises, the bigger the better. A 100 gallon is much more stable and gives you more room for error and more resistance to temperature change than a 50 gallon.

You could do a really nice african cichlid set up in a 40 gallon tank. You could have an assortment of colorful pseudotropheus. Those typically get around 3-4 inches and because of their bright colors they are often mistaken for salt water fish. They are aggressive but will sort out territories amongst the rocks.
100 gallons is definitely out of the question. But I could probably get a 40 gallon. Thanks for the suggestions. I need more pets like a hole in the head :) I'm also researching rabbits. I just need to buy a farm.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
beautiful fish with fantastic coloring thanks for sharing

M

Maggie Cummings

I have a 150 gallon with 2 goldfish that need to be filleted, they'd feed 5 people. I breed dalmatian balloon belly Mollies, and my favorite fish is a plecostomus. I have a pleco in the big tank that's about 10 inches now. And I keep my fry in a 40 gallon and there's a pleco about 6 inches long and he would rather swim upside down and eat the flake food I feed the fry, then eat algae wafers. It's funny to look into his mouth as he's doing this. Funny and strange. I very much enjoy my fish. I had another big pleco but the 2 got to fighting, so I took one to the pet shop, gave him to them, and the next day he had a $20 price tag on him, then he was gone.......