My first tortoise

loulouLR

Hi, I have just returned home with my first tortoise. It was a long decision and I have done a lot of research but I have found that various sites offer differing advice. So I went with a friend to get my tortoise from a breeder. My friend has 7 tortoises which he has had for many years, so I have got someone with some knowledge to help me.
However, I still worry especially about her first hibernation. I am having made an area for her, with a house and conservatory outside. In the meantime she is inside. So what advice can you give me to help her settle in, and to make sure she gets to a good weight before hibernating and various ideas for hibernation. The plan I have is the same as my friend does, which is to let them dig into the ground inside their house and then cover with hay and leave for the winter.

Thanks and hi again

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Welcome to the forum[emoji3]
What species of tortoise do you have

Myroli

What species do you have? And I know many here recommend not hibernating for the first year you have a tortoise to make sure it's healthy enough to make it through

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). As mentioned above, it's not recommended to brumate the first year. You need to take that time to let him adjust to his new home, get him eating, drinking, etc. also learning what's normal with him and that everything is good and healthy. Then the next year would will know,if all is fine to safely brumate.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, LouLou, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
I agree on not brumating the tortoise for at least the first year.
Get to know him better first!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
m1277.gif

loulouLR

Hi, this sounds awful but I am not sure what race he is. I am in France so not sure what the translation would be. But will post a picture and maybe someone can tell me. I am also posting his enclosure, but please bear in mind it is only for this weekend. Then the friend who is building his new enclosure built all of the tortoise houses and enclosures for the breeder we went to. It is due to be nice weather here this weekend so he will be out in my small animal run, which has been adapted for him for the weekend.

IMG_20150826_181727673[1].jpg IMG_20150826_181727673[1].jpg IMG_20150827_182353055[1].jpg IMG_20150827_182353055[1].jpg

immiexxo

UK
I'm a first time tortoise owner and have been advised not to hibernate him this year. Instead, i will be getting to know him and his ways better and preparing myself for next year!

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Looks like a greek to me not sure wich kind though very similar care to Herrmann's though should still do some research