My first tortoise!!! unknown age and sex

riri30076

Location (City and/or State)
Kennesaw
I got my first tortoise today and it is a Herman’s tortoise! The store I got it from had not known the sex or age, how do I know? Also, any tips or advice for new owners?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Hi and welcome!

Post several photos of the tortoise including the plastron (bottom shell).

Here's some great info:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, pics would be great. You mentioned you bought your buddy from a store. I am sure they have set you up with some wrong things needed to keep your tort healthy and happy. Pics of your enclosure can help members here get you in the right direction. I did the same thing and was doing everything wrong. When I found this forum it probably saved Opo,s life. My setup was wrong and I was feeding the wrong foods. Good luck!

Happytort27

CA
Welcome to the forum! The previous members gave great advice, and the thread that was linked for you is the most updated and correct care sheet.

riri30076

Kennesaw
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgthese are pics of my enclosure it’s a 48x36 with a little room I keep the food in, I identified it as a male but he has just burrowed since I placed him. There’s no heat lamp until I kind get the right one tommorow! Thank you for the tips!

Cheryl1503

Lanarkshire
Hi from Scotland! When I got my Hermann I got a cities certificate with his hatch date on it but not sure what the law is in the US .

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
This may work as a temporary enclosure for the winter months, but it's on the small side for a fully grown adult. A size of 4x8' is considered the minimum for adult Testudos such as Hermanns. Ultimately it would be better if you can house the tortoise outside when the temperatures are appropriate.

Your tortoise probably won't be very active, or eat normally until you reach proper temperatures. What did you get in terms of a heat lamp? You can use simple stuff from Home Depot or the hardware store for lighting. Look for a ceramic socket 'brooder' light fixture, and pick up some 65 or 100 W flood bulbs to create a 95 F basking spot. The rest of the enclosure needs to be in the high 70s.

Read through the detailed linked care sheet for the best tips.

riri30076

Kennesaw
I actually purchased a flukers lamp but I quickly returned it when I read about them. I plan on going to Home Depot later to buy what you suggested but will those bulbs also contain UV? I also plan on creating a little out side enclose for when the weather down here warms up, thank you!

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
No, regular incandescent flood bulbs do not produce UV. You'll need a separate fixture and bulb for that. Or, if you can get the tortoise outside for a few hours each day under sunlight in an outdoor enclosure once the weather's nice, you can avoid getting a UV light. If you can get him outside all summer you can avoid it all together during the winter months.

If you do want a UV light, look into T5 High Output (HO) fluorescent bulbs. The curly bulbs have been shown to cause eye problems and are ineffective at producing UV, so avoid those.

Here's more UV info from the care sheet:

UV:
Tortoises need regular exposure to the right kind of UV rays in order to make vitamin D3 to be able to utilize dietary calcium. Real sunshine is best, but be careful. Shade should always be available as babies can overheat and die surprisingly quickly. "Sunning" your tortoise doesn't mean putting it in the sun. It means allowing it access to the sun, while also providing plenty of shade and cover. If your tortoise can get some regular sunning time in a safe outdoor enclosure, even just a couple of times a week for most of the year, you don't need any artificial UV. Its okay if you have to skip two or three weeks of sunning time during inclement weather. If you live somewhere with long frozen winters and you are not going to hibernate your tortoise, then some artificial UV might be in order for that time of year. I no longer recommend mercury vapor bulbs for several reasons, but florescent HO (High Output) UV tubes work very well according to my UV meter. CFL type UV bulbs are ineffective as UV sources and sometime burn reptile eyes. No type of compact florescent bulb should be used over a tortoise. Also get yourself a Solarmeter 6.5. Without a UV meter, you are guessing about the UV levels in your enclosure, no different than guessing the temperature without a thermometer. At least without a thermometer you can still feel the temperature with your hand. You can't feel UV levels. These meters pay for themselves in short order since you won't be replacing perfectly good working bulbs every six months, as the sellers recommend, and they help you assure that your UV levels are correct.

riri30076

Kennesaw
I found an incandescent basking bulb and a light for the UV! I set it up and about ten minutes later I immediately noticed a change in behavior! He is all over the place and exploring the enclosure even more. Thank you everyone for the tips and the guide! I will surely be referencing back to it on the future?