My first tortoise enclosure, anything wrong?

Jaxattack

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I just built my first tortoise table, I originally had my baby redfoot I a Tupperware container but decided he deserved better. It is 6 foot by 2 foot with a hot hide and a cold hide. I am getting sphagnum moss later this week. I was wondering if there was anything I could improve.

Attachments

• 20210622_082512.jpg
    20210622_082512.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 20210622_082502.jpg
    20210622_082502.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 143

Jaxattack

Ohio
I just built my first tortoise table, I originally had my baby redfoot I a Tupperware container but decided he deserved better. It is 6 foot by 2 foot with a hot hide and a cold hide. I am getting sphagnum moss later this week. I was wondering if there was anything I could improve.

Attachments

• 20210621_190439.jpg
    20210621_190439.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do not use the moss. They eat it and it gets tangled around limbs
Next you need to cover the enclosure. They need 80% humidity and that can't happen in an open table.
If you put orchid bark on top of the substrate and wet the bottom substrate with the enclosure covered it will keep temps and humidity much better.

Jaxattack

Ohio
Next you need to cover the enclosure. They need 80% humidity and that can't happen in an open table.
If you put orchid bark on top of the substrate and wet the bottom substrate with the enclosure covered it will keep temps and humidity much better.
Ok, thanks

Jaxattack

Ohio
Also, my baby redfoot spends all day sleeping, how can I fix this

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post temps, day and night warm spot cooler spot.
Type of lighting and heating you are usung?
Add the cover and get humidity up and put in more plants.
Also they don't like change. Getting a new home is a big change. Thry will take time to get used to the change and will act normal again.
So now is a good time to make all the other changes suggested so she can get used to all of it at once.

Jaxattack

Ohio
I don't have thing that tells heat but if I had to guess basking spot would be 90+ and the rest low 80s

Jaxattack

Ohio
He was like this in his old enclosure too
I don't have thing that tells heat but if I had to guess basking spot would be 90+ and the rest low 80s
I have a 160 watt uva bulb and I don't remember the name but it's the spiral uvb bulb.

Jaxattack

Ohio
Post temps, day and night warm spot cooler spot.
Type of lighting and heating you are usung?
Add the cover and get humidity up and put in more plants.
Also they don't like change. Getting a new home is a big change. Thry will take time to get used to the change and will act normal again.
So now is a good time to make all the other changes suggested so she can get used to all of it at once.
Could I use like a human thermometer to see the temp?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know if that would work properly.
Places like home depot menards or hardware stores have the digital which is best for like 10 bucks.
Pick up a point and shoot temp gun too. They are also around 10 bucks.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Temperature and humidity are critical for Redfoots throughout their entire life. You have to know those values exactly in order to know if the habitat is safe and healthful. Temperatures should stay in the 80s. High 70s is too low, 90*F is too high.

This is a good general set up discussion:

Redfoots are omnivores - they eat meat (insects, worms, eggs- boiled w the shell on, shrimp), fruits, and green vegetation. You can follow along this thread to get diet tips and help:

Jaxattack

Ohio
Temperature and humidity are critical for Redfoots throughout their entire life. You have to know those values exactly in order to know if the habitat is safe and healthful. Temperatures should stay in the 80s. High 70s is too low, 90*F is too high.

This is a good general set up discussion:

Redfoots are omnivores - they eat meat (insects, worms, eggs- boiled w the shell on, shrimp), fruits, and green vegetation. You can follow along this thread to get diet tips and help:

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Listen to the advice above, those guys know their stuff....

Just what every reptile keeper needs;

How does the guy with the alligators say? Choot 'em! and their homes.....note the temp range of the laser-thermometer is plenty wide enough for reptiles..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NBJJ2Q/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I just grabbed this as an example for you but they do come cheaper, like 9-12 bucks. I use mine every time I make a temp-related change....and any other time I'm curious.

Good luck!!

jeff

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome to the forum. ? Good luck with your little one and you're at the right place to succeed.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Listen to the advice above, those guys know their stuff....

Just what every reptile keeper needs;

How does the guy with the alligators say? Choot 'em! and their homes.....note the temp range of the laser-thermometer is plenty wide enough for reptiles..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071NBJJ2Q/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I just grabbed this as an example for you but they do come cheaper, like 9-12 bucks. I use mine every time I make a temp-related change....and any other time I'm curious.

Good luck!!

jeff
What's funny is I just ordered that thermometer gun because I needed one ? seems like a fair price to me if it's accurate. Thanks ? for the link.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its obvious that you spent a lot of time and effort to make this enclosure, but this is entirely the wrong type of enclosure and set up for a RF. This set up would be good for a small adult male Testudo, but that's about it.

RFs need warm temps and high humidity. That can't be done in an open table like this. They also do not need a basking lamp. This will make them pyramid. They need warm overall temps between 82-86 all the time day and night.

Your baby is likely sleeping because the conditions are too cold, too dry, the basking bulb is too harsh, and the cfl type UV bulb is probably burning its eyes. This is not a basking species.

Sorry to bum you out, but I'd put the baby back in the old tub until you can buy or build the right type of enclosure for your species.