My first Tort is here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bangkok
I am so excited. I know, I said I wanted a Greek Tortoise, but I just couldn't wait any longer. I took a closer look at Star Tortoise and really fell in love with them. :D So I decided to get a Star Tortoise first (who knows, maybe I'll get a Greek Tortoise later, maybe not).

Anyways, I picked "him" up today and I am totally in love with "him". I bought him off a website who had posted pictures and I chose him because he was putting out his head in the pictures, unlike the other stars (and I liked his pretty shell).

I'm very excited but also scared that he might die. I don't want to do any major mistakes, so when I post pictures and tell about "him" feel free to give me tips, correct me or criticize!

I'm not sure where the tortoise came from, but since I'm in Thailand, I'd assume he's a wild caught (?). The seller said he should be about 7 months old. He is almost 2 inch (tiny!), so that sounds about right? (or not? Anyway, he does look like a baby!)

When I put him into his enclosure, he crawled into his hide and slept in there. I thought he wouldn't move at all today. :D I soaked him anyways and tried to feed him some greens. He barely ate and I was already worried, but left him be. When I went to look a little later he was munching his greens. :D So I sat down to watch him and he went into his hide. Grml. So I left again and 5 mins later was over his greens again. So mean, I want to watch. :p

Sorry for the rant, but I just had to tell someone. :D Now here are some pictures:

10qfnzd.jpg

These are the pictures from the seller (the ones written "No. 2" on them).
35mnvie.jpg

jh63hk.jpg

2a762q8.jpg

You can see grim little faces on his plastron. :D I see three (a Skullface in the middle!). Also a reason I picked him.
5brcj9.jpg

The last three are pics I took.
2e188l5.jpg

22kv14.jpg

2evgb45.jpg

I'll post more and better pictures, but didn't want to stress the little guy too much today. :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I love the plastron shot the little faces are cool. He is a great looking guy...

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Well, you did it now. What a beauty. He is especially good looking. Good pick. I think the age is right on the money also. Good luck!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That is an exceptionally stunning indian star. I wish we had more variety here in the USA with those types of tortoises.

The only advice I have for you is to keep him warm and try to get him some daily sun exposure. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mina:

He's beautiful! I love the faces on his plastron

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
He is gorgeous ;) Nice pick!

I know my Stars were exceptionally shy when I first got them. He will warm up over time.

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Sawdee Krab K'Mina,

Pretty Star. Love it's pattern!
Remember to keep this little guy warm through out the night. Provide as much sunlight as possible. Cuttle bone too.
Hatchling mostly sleep all day long other then meal time.
I soak mine 3-4 time a week. They are about 2" and weighing slightly over 50g. WC, age and sex unknow.

Care to share the price you got it? Cheaper then JJ Mall?

Cheers & have fun:)

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Thank you everyone. :D I already love "him" a lot. I don't have a name yet though. I'm not sure whether I should give "him" a boy/girl or unisex name. I'm really bad in picking names - sometimes I take hours to pick a name for a character in a videogame! lol. I'll take my time and see if any name fits with his character. But if anyone has suggestions, let me know!

@TortBrain
What means 'warm' in Tort language? :D Right now it's 29 Celsius (84 Fahrenheit) outside (His enclosure is on the Balcony). I hope that is ok? I am wondering if I have to get a CHE/Infrared with these temps? But I'm guessing not. I don't want to grill him. :D (Note: It's 10.30pm in Thailand. So these are Nighttime temps.)
Not sure if he was cheaper than JJ. Prices vary a lot. Last Saturday I asked the price of a 1.5inch Star Tortoise and it was 2000 Baht (which I think, is quite expensive for such a small tortoise. Plus, the little thing was together with all kinds of species in the same cage, so I wouldn't have bought it anyways. I was just curious... mh, maybe it was especially pretty or it was the ++foreigner price. I don't know). Another Shop wanted 1400 Baht for 3-4inch star Tortoises.
I got mine for 1100 Baht, but many Star Tortoises I've seen being sold on the Internet went for 800-900 Baht.
But I really don't care if I paying 10 dollar more or less for an animal. :D Especially because food, substrate, vet etc. is going to cost me much much more.
You are from Malaysia, right? Have you bought animals at JJ? (I wonder how you'd be able to bring them back to Malaysia then?)
If you have any tips to share, let me know. Since we live in a similar climate you could probably suggest me somethings e.g. food, temperatures etc. I want to know anything there is, so my tort will hopefully be healthy and happy. :)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
In the US, your little star would cost about 10 to 12 times what you paid. So, from our perspective, you got a great deal on him.

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
NICE, they look very different from my star baby, mines more of jus black and yellow yours has more contrasting colors,i wonder why,maybe yours is wut they would call a mainland star(???) i dont know maybe not jus taking a guess.DO You know if its considered an indian/sri lankan,mainland,southern ECT.......?

Bubba30

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Oh my gosh. So darn cuterz. Makes me want to get a cousin for Bubba.
XOXOX BUBBA AND CARLA

TortBrain

5 Year Member
Sky2Mina said:
Thank you everyone. :D I already love "him" a lot. I don't have a name yet though. I'm not sure whether I should give "him" a boy/girl or unisex name. I'm really bad in picking names - sometimes I take hours to pick a name for a character in a videogame! lol. I'll take my time and see if any name fits with his character. But if anyone has suggestions, let me know!

@TortBrain
What means 'warm' in Tort language? :D Right now it's 29 Celsius (84 Fahrenheit) outside (His enclosure is on the Balcony). I hope that is ok? I am wondering if I have to get a CHE/Infrared with these temps? But I'm guessing not. I don't want to grill him. :D (Note: It's 10.30pm in Thailand. So these are Nighttime temps.)
Not sure if he was cheaper than JJ. Prices vary a lot. Last Saturday I asked the price of a 1.5inch Star Tortoise and it was 2000 Baht (which I think, is quite expensive for such a small tortoise. Plus, the little thing was together with all kinds of species in the same cage, so I wouldn't have bought it anyways. I was just curious... mh, maybe it was especially pretty or it was the ++foreigner price. I don't know). Another Shop wanted 1400 Baht for 3-4inch star Tortoises.
I got mine for 1100 Baht, but many Star Tortoises I've seen being sold on the Internet went for 800-900 Baht.
But I really don't care if I paying 10 dollar more or less for an animal. :D Especially because food, substrate, vet etc. is going to cost me much much more.
You are from Malaysia, right? Have you bought animals at JJ? (I wonder how you'd be able to bring them back to Malaysia then?)
If you have any tips to share, let me know. Since we live in a similar climate you could probably suggest me somethings e.g. food, temperatures etc. I want to know anything there is, so my tort will hopefully be healthy and happy. :)

Morning Mina,

I kept mine at 90-95F.
Price is really cheap over your side.
No, I can't bring any animals back to Malaysia. How I wish I could thou. Got mine locally. Heard most of the WC came from Thailand too.

Status
Not open for further replies.