My first month as a new red foot owner & what I learned...

willee638

Location (City and/or State)
HK
Hi it's been a month since my little red foot has been a member of the family & she/he hasn't grained much weight, she was 97grams 5 days after I got her & now weeks later she only weighs 104-105 grams a very small increase in my opinion. The weather was colder in February & she didn't eat much but after 10 days of coming home I tried taking her out for some natural sunlight 3 times a week & the situation has improved since, now it's March & she became more active with warmer temperatures. I have been feeding her with tons more varieties of greens, fruits & some animal proteins than from when I first did with just Mazuri tortoise food & a couple kinds of fruits & cucumbers. She's a very fussy eater I had to constantly changing her menu from meal to meal, her home was initially a small fish glass enclosure now moved to a much larger wooden one I built soon after. there's plants, grasses & stones to climb, although it's still not the most ideal of enclosures & a much larger one will soon have to be made to accommodate all the plants & other objects I've slowly added to stimulate her senses. I'm still not certain of my baby red foot's age estimated by my guess to be approximately 6-7 months old & judging from her plastron colour which is yellowish obviously not yet a yearling. I had entertained the idea of getting her/him a playmate but after learning from other forum members of their terrible experiences of keeping 2 tortoises in an indoor enclosure decided that thought is out the door, I believe I've done almost everything a new owner can possibly do by providing my red foot tortoise at least all the basic essentials like sufficient UV lighting, heat, humidity/moistures, foods, clean substrates & as much outdoor sunlight/movements as I can manage, all I need now is to learn more of the know how in this forum to properly take care of her for many more years to come.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd love to see some pictures!

Have you read our care sheets?

willee638

HK
Please give some advice on estimating my red foot tort's age, currently weighs 105 grams. Already larger than most "hatchlings" when I acquired her one month prior, what should a yearling weigh & measurements? Mine is 2.3/4" across & 3.5" long is this an average normal healthy size? What's it's sex?

Attachments

• DSC_1469.JPG
    DSC_1469.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • DSC_1470.JPG
    DSC_1470.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 9

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Your tort is probably about 4-6 months. You won't know the gender for a few more years.