My FIRST Hermann Tortoise (Shellie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield, Ma
Today I received my FIRST Hermann Tortoise named Shellie. She is the cuties thing on 4 legs.... LoL
When she came here yesterday morning I was on my way out so I opened the box and Shellie came for a ride with us and went shopping.... :cool:
When we got home my husband seen her and thought it was adorable. By the way my hubby didn't know I was buying her at all it was a surprise LoL :p
So I put her in a warm bowl of water to soak her then put her in the tank and put some greens but she didn't really eat the food so I threw what she dragged in the soil away. I figured she wouldn't eat because she had a ruff night with shipping. So then at dinner time I gave her 2 little pieces of greens again and she ate a good amout of it.
So I have the basking light that she loves. I did have the UVB light shining on her BUT it fell and broke today so I had to go get another light and look for those hooks that I can hang the lights on because right now I have them resting on the screen. Oh and no worries Shellie is fine I did NOT drop it on her or even near her. It fell in the back of the tank not in her way at all.
So anyways she is a cute tortoise and I'm happy I got her. My kids picked her out of the 2 I was shown. So I HAD to get her.
I was hoping for a male BUT her tummy is poked out and I heard males bellies are more flat and a little in words. So I don't know. I heard it would take alittle bit to tell what sex it is. I already named her so hoping a female now LoL but either way she is a GREAT addition to my family :) She is only 2 weeks old so it will probably be to late to tell if it is a female or male.
Here are some quick photos I took. I'll take some better ones tomorrow. :)
:tort:

Oh also in the photo you will see the blue thing with water BUT whenever she tries to get up there she slips off of it. What can I do to fix this anyone have any thoughts?? I did put a little rock under it to level it BUT she is still having a problem getting to the water. HELP!!! :p

Attachments

• 100_1814.JPG
    100_1814.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
  • 100_1811.JPG
    100_1811.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • 100_1808.JPG
    100_1808.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
  • 100_1824.JPG
    100_1824.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
  • 100_1819.JPG
    100_1819.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • 100_1827.JPG
    100_1827.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 44

ColinF87

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
She's adorable! :) You're right, you will need to wait a while before you can tell if she's a girl or not - probably a couple of years. My little guy is almost one and we're still not sure.

With the water bowl, I'd suggest replacing it with a terracotta saucer (the kind you put under plant pots) which you can sink into the substrate a little. It's easier for her to reach, get into if she wants to and not too deep. Looks like a nice set-up for her though :)

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Ok I'll have to get that dish bowl today. If I can find it at a pet store. I feel bad for her she has been trying to get up on there to get water but she keeps slipping off of it because it is to new and plus it sucks LOL
So yeah I'll try to get one of those today if I can't I'll buy one from online today :)
Thank You for the advice :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
You can use saucers meant for potted plants for food and water dishes. They work much better than the high sided and slippery bowls they sell in pet shops. They should be shallow and easily accessible. The water dish in particular should have the top of the rim at ground level or just barely above ground level. Tortoises seek water below them and are not accustomed to climbing up hill to find it. Making it easier for them to access their water enables them to drink more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.