My first elongated (rescue)

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Jacqui would definitely be my first choice if/when placement is needed. However, she is actually "property" of Slow Movers Rescue and Resort, and my position with her is more of a foster/rehab basis (I operate Oregon Tortoise Rescue and Rehab). They are considering keeping her as a permanent resident for fear of her being turned into a breeding machine for $$. I know Jacqui's intentions would be nobel, but I'm not the one needing convincing. I adore Jacqui and totally admire her work in torts.

I am currently getting her set up in a semi-humid vivarium. I plan to add a CHE this weekend. Curious, why is a PowerSun inappropriate? I know this is not really a basking species, but for now that is what I have available. I do have long tube style bulbs, but I would need to re-engineer her house...which I am ok with.

She did eat almost all of her leafy greens (left all 4 of the baby spinach leaves I added). I had sprinkled (sparingly) Repashy Calcium for her. Looks like she was very active today. I'm considering radiographing her tomorrow since my schedule is light.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Until I learn more about her species, I'm basically duplicating my Redfoot viv. Is that appropriate? Feeding the same as well (for now)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Jacqui would definitely be my first choice if/when placement is needed. However, she is actually "property" of Slow Movers Rescue and Resort, and my position with her is more of a foster/rehab basis (I operate Oregon Tortoise Rescue and Rehab). They are considering keeping her as a permanent resident for fear of her being turned into a breeding machine for $$. I know Jacqui's intentions would be nobel, but I'm not the one needing convincing. I adore Jacqui and totally admire her work in torts.

I am currently getting her set up in a semi-humid vivarium. I plan to add a CHE this weekend. Curious, why is a PowerSun inappropriate? I know this is not really a basking species, but for now that is what I have available. I do have long tube style bulbs, but I would need to re-engineer her house...which I am ok with.

She did eat almost all of her leafy greens (left all 4 of the baby spinach leaves I added). I had sprinkled (sparingly) Repashy Calcium for her. Looks like she was very active today. I'm considering radiographing her tomorrow since my schedule is light.

..what a bummer... you know, that they'd keep her as a pet specially to avoid breeding when others think that's exactly where she should be.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Most kinixys, even more grassland species like this, do not like either bright light, or high, concentrated temperatures. A basking spot can work, but not very high, no more than 90 really.
Try to find Mick's care-sheet on here, that would be a good start. Also, the kinixys conservation blueprint that was linked to on here would also be a good place to research.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Her basking area (which I find her in every morning now) is at 84 on the top of her carapace. Ambient is 74-76. There are lots of fake plants to hide and explore. She seems more curious with me now. I added a larger wallow dish and she was just in there drinking. I have the afternoon off today, so I can finally do some deeper reading. I have bookmarked some care sheets but only had a few minutes to skim them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
she would be breed, but not for the money reason. We are losing this species and want to get viable numbers going in captivity before they go extinct.

sandy can you pm me who I need to talk with please.