My first build!!!

Killerrookie

Hello everyone!! I just built my first enclosure ever for another Sulcata I'll be getting very soon.
Now this was a pretty fun experience and I screwed up a lot. :D
Anyways, here's a pic of the entire enclosure!! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482856604.676614.jpg
The enclosures measurements are 6 long by 2 wide and 2 feet high. 6x2x2. I first made the frame of the enclosure using 1x3 boards then used a nail gun to nail the plywood onto the frame.
The base that the tortoise enclosure sits on is just a regular bathroom cabinet base I bought at Lowes to store things in.
After I did so I router the edges to smoothen it out and make it look nice and neat. Now it was my first time ever using a router and messed up a piece of plywood by accident!! :D
Here's a pic of what I did with the router.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482857346.215172.jpg
I used hinges to mount the window and also used crown molding to make the enclosure look nice.
After this I painted the inside of the enclosure using three coats of drylok.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482857630.491199.jpg
Then painted the outside using this wood stain and finishing it off with a semi gloss paint to make the enclosure pop a little after I installed the door.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482857751.967422.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482857789.952434.jpg
Now I already had a zoomed terrarium hood and didn't want to spend more money on a light fixture to hold a uvb tube so I built a bracket to hang the light in there and also hide all the wires from the other lights too. Also I re-wired the lights to extend the cord down to the cabinet for easy access.
Picture of the bracket:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482858054.268127.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482858110.559537.jpg
In total I have 5 lights in the enclosure.
• 1 75 watt basking bulb
• 1 60 warf fluorescent day time bulb for lighting
•1 36 inch reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 bulb
• 2 100 watt CHE
Here are the temps for the enclosure:
Basking spot: 95-110F
Cold side: Around the high 80's
The rest of the enclosure is around the 90's. It never gets below 80 in the enclosure.
Now at night it's at 90-95F.
Note that all the lights are set on timers so it's easier on me and helps me from reaching to the back and turning them on. :)
Humidity is at 75-90% around the enclosure. I also have vents to air out the hot air in the enclosure.
I have a PVC pipe that I drilled small holes into going along the enclosure to give off humidity which isn't really needed but it also doesn't hurt to have one. The PVC is connected to a humidifier down in the cabinet. It makes the enclosure look cool. :D
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482859219.960356.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482859234.831408.jpg
Now for substrate I used organic bedding soil and then added a small layer of Reptibark and Cypress Mulch for the top. Also added Sphagnum moss for extra humidity. There's also two hides for the tortoise to choose and sleep in or he can just dig anywhere and sleep. :)
The substrate:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482859573.592292.jpg
Now here's more pictures of the enclosure for you guys to look at and if you have any questions or things to ask or just anything please just ask or tell me!!!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482860017.122944.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482860171.787080.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482860190.439935.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482860202.478644.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482860212.683997.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482860224.324786.jpg
I hope you like the build and please ask any questions or tell me if I did something wrong. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Excellent, Austin! I have it down that you're only 16 yrs old, but your profile says 46. If I'm correct, and you're still a teen ager, wow! What a nice job you've done. Well, it's nice if your 46 too, but great going, kid!!!

In my opinion, the substrate looks a bit bumpy for a tiny tortoise to walk on, but other than that, I have no complaints or objections. I few potted plants throughout would add to the eye appeal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You said the window is on a hinge. Is there a clasp at the bottom to hold it shut?

Killerrookie

Excellent, Austin! I have it down that you're only 16 yrs old, but your profile says 46. If I'm correct, and you're still a teen ager, wow! What a nice job you've done. Well, it's nice if your 46 too, but great going, kid!!!

In my opinion, the substrate looks a bit bumpy for a tiny tortoise to walk on, but other than that, I have no complaints or objections. I few potted plants throughout would add to the eye appeal.
I plan to add some plants and also growing my own weeds and grass! Oh im actually 17 but turn 18 in January.
Thank you for your thoughts and kind words. :)

Killerrookie

You said the window is on a hinge. Is there a clasp at the bottom to hold it shut?
These pictures were taken yesterday and I installed the clasp today when I realized he could open it and fall out. My mistake not thinking it all through! Just lucky he didn't realize he could get out.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Brilliant, Austin.:)
You know my opinion on how good I think this project has been already.
Marvelous thread, too.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Looks good. If he grows as fast as ours did, you better start building the next one. :)

One minor thing, i usually have the CHE in the center of enclosure to maintain overall ambient temp, and a dimmer incandescent over the darker hide area, and the brighter end on oppo side from the hide.

And, make sure u sink the terracotta dish level with your substrate.

All looking great... Good luck!

Killerrookie

Looks good. If he grows as fast as ours did, you better start building the next one. :)

One minor thing, i usually have the CHE in the center of enclosure to maintain overall ambient temp, and a dimmer incandescent over the darker hide area, and the brighter end on oppo side from the hide.

And, make sure u sink the terracotta dish level with your substrate.

All looking great... Good luck!
Thank you and I re-arranged the lights a bit and the terra cotta is sunk in more.